Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
90%-er
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a small kerosene heater for a walled off section of my pole barn. Supposed to be able to heat 1,000 square feet, so I figured it could easily warm up the 200 square foot room that I wanted to use as a warming station.

This room is in no way air tight, and I was under the impression that Kerosene burned "clean," but within a few minutes I had a hell of a smokey haze in the room and I put that thing out right away.

So I cut a hole in the roof of the room, and rigged up a real quick and dirty vent out of some very wide aluminum role that I had onhand. This effectively vented the smoke, but it also was sending about 60% of the heat out the hole, too.

I bought some of the kerosene alternative that Lowes sells, so is that crap the issue?

THis is my first foray into using one of these, so what am I missing?

Attachments

·
Sean
5,531 Posts
Initial smokiness from stuff used during manufacturer that needs to burn off would be my initial guess
Be warned though that when it is burning 100% properly one major byproduct is moisture, and if it isn't (not enough air, etc...) you can be looking at CO & other issues
Oh & you may also wish to check the manual to

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Just bought a small kerosene heater for a walled off section of my pole barn. Supposed to be able to heat 1,000 square feet, so I figured it could easily warm up the 200 square foot room that I wanted to use as a warming station.

This room is in no way air tight, and I was under the impression that Kerosene burned "clean," but within a few minutes I had a hell of a smokey haze in the room and I put that thing out right away.

So I cut a hole in the roof of the room, and rigged up a real quick and dirty vent out of some very wide aluminum role that I had onhand. This effectively vented the smoke, but it also was sending about 60% of the heat out the hole, too.

I bought some of the kerosene alternative that Lowes sells, so is that crap the issue?

THis is my first foray into using one of these, so what am I missing?
turn the wick down as low as you can ..It will burn a little cleaner.
Never leave that fire hazard un watched .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Your wick is probably too high.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kero always puts off CO no matter how clean it burns. It's usually not a problem, but in a tight house it can build up to be a problem. Pole barn should be fine.

Another reason ventless propane units shouldn't be used it a house IMO, they put off lots of moisture like kerosene.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I remember these at my grandmother's house when I was a kid. There was just enough smell that you knew it was kerosene, but that's all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The flame should be around 1/2-3/4" high is all. Make sure the center adjustment inside the burner is centered, if it's off one side will be way high. Use good kerosene, and if the smell is bad they sell additives to change the smell.

In a 200 sf room they will burn you out of it. I use mine in a 24X24 garage and if its 20-30 out side it will be 80+ in a couple of hours. A little ventilation never hurts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have had several of these.You really have to watch the height of the wick for it to burn good.The problem I had is that if I wanted to get something done in that area I did not want to wait 2 hours and burn fuel to do a 1/2 hr job.I bought a 175,000 btu salamander and can get my 24 X 26 garage from -0 to 65 degrees in about 15 minutes with diesel(which is cheaper) with less smell.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Kerosene heaters can be OK once you learn how and where to use them.

When I met my wife, she lived in a leaning, shaking second floor apartment in CT directly on the Long Island sound where the window sills sprouted ever spring and the front door would not even close completely (and had no lock) because of the natural tilt. The wind would rock you to sleep and the kero heater was the only source of heat for 2 BR apartment. Talk about view and location!!! - No smell except from the Italian food below.

Her cat would curl up about a foot away and be content at all times regardless of the temperature of conditions outside, but you had to keep it toned down and run it for long periods.

If you run them properly at a lower level they do provide comfort. Somehow she learned to do it and hope she can to learn to drive well after over 20 years.

We lived in CT, Virginia Beach, northern MI and now in MN and every once in a while she wants to get a kero heater when it really gets cold.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Make sure the center adjustment inside the burner is centered, if it's off one side will be way high.
Ditto! This can make the thing smoke everything up and cover it in soot. Its like the wick is burning instead of the fuel. Seen it more than once.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
It will burn the wicks up much faster. I just replaced the one in mine after 7 years of service. :)

I normally don't let anyone else light mine. My brother in law tried once about 2 weeks ago. We had the whole smokey garage thing happing. He thought he was going to start a fire and was pretty nervous about it. I "fixed" it and didn't tell him otherwise. Just told him he was real lucky. I doubt he tries to mess with it again.

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Those are great. Kerosene is expensive here though. I used to buy 2.5 gallons for 8 bucks which wasn't too bad. Now that same jug is almost 20 bucks.

Ours has been in retirement, but tomorrow we are pulling it out to use at the new place. It's drafty enough that the moisture shouldn't be a problem. :laughing: Hopefully, the local fuel yard has bulk kerosene for much less.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Bulk should be much cheaper. I pay around 4.50 a gallon use to buy it at menards in the 2.5 gallon jugs when it was 9.99 now they are 18 or 19 for the same.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts