Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I realize that Kerdi showers vs 'everything else' has been debated many times here.......but,

As I peruse the past discussions it seems like much of the conversation revolves around efficiency and cost, not durability exclusively.

My question is, how long can I expect a correctly installed kerdi shower pan to stay completely leakproof?

I have never used one and appreciate the ease of install, the time savings, etc. but in the end I don't care about saving a couple hundred dollars if I'm not installing something that will be problem-free for decades.

Our shower pans have always been presloped substrate, pvc membrane turned up the walls, deck mud, and a coat of redgard but I'd like to try kerdi pans. I've asked my tile suppliers and they always say something like "it's super fast, all the guys love them". ....which is not very helpful!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
if we take a look at how failures in showers occur what their causes usually are (movement of the structure, degrading of lead pans, water penetration) and then take a look at how sheet membrane showers are constructed. I can confidently say your showers, if they are properly assembled and set, will last until the owners want a change.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
If you build it well, regardless of which waterproofing method you use, you've got a shower built for a lifetime.

One thing to keep in mind. A lot of issues in showers are grout related. I would use epoxy or urethane grout. I've used Laticrete spectra lock for years and feel it's the best grout on the market!

·
Registered
810 Posts
What issues? I'm confused. A properly built shower can perform fine with no grout at all. No tile either, for that matter. That's sort of the whole point of making a proper shower before the decorative cover goes on.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What's funny to me is that anyone can use Kerdi as an afterthought and it won't change the bottom line cost all that much. (Compared to using just Kerdi, I mean)

Think about it. You have your plastic or Aquabar behind the wall. You have a few square feet of CPVC under. Other than that, you aren't out any money. Kerdi isn't cheaper than the the old wet shower method, but it's better. I say do both if you're paranoid about Kerdi. Consider the other stuff a backup.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
What's funny to me is that anyone can use Kerdi as an afterthought and it won't change the bottom line cost all that much. (Compared to using just Kerdi, I mean)

Think about it. You have your plastic or Aquabar behind the wall. You have a few square feet of CPVC under. Other than that, you aren't out any money. Kerdi isn't cheaper than the the old wet shower method, but it's better. I say do both if you're paranoid about Kerdi. Consider the other stuff a backup.
Double vapor barrier isn't a great idea, do one or the other...and the weep holes wouldn't be accessible under the flange on the kerdi drain.

I think doing both would be counter productive.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Think about it. You have your plastic or Aquabar behind the wall. You have a few square feet of CPVC under. Other than that, you aren't out any money. Kerdi isn't cheaper than the the old wet shower method, but it's better. I say do both if you're paranoid about Kerdi. Consider the other stuff a backup.[/QUOTE Moisture samitch!!:no:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts