Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I know the answer, but I'll ask anyways.

I have a good client that tore out his existing master bath. He has a custom sunken bath with a shower. Originally it appeared to have elastomeric waterproofing, but of course when they tore out the tile, it was damaged.

He hired a designer from a Tile distributor to come up with something special and he did. The designer (whom I was originally introduced as a tile contractor) had me tear out all the plywood with elastomeric and replace the plywood. I was hoping that was the end of my involvement, but I guess not. They were planning on hotmopping it, but the guy who does their work won't do bathtubs (too much water pressure). We had done another bathroom shower using the Schluter kerdi system and the owner asked me to do the tub.

I've never heard or seen using kerdi for a bathtub, so I'm assuming it's a no go. Am I correct? If I'm not, how do you handle the drain situation? This area has angled sides, a step, a bench, a adjacent planter and windows.

If this is a possibility, I'll get some pictures tomorrow. If it's not, what do you suggest? The tile guy has been no help.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I wouldnt use Kerri for a tub. Id build it out of concrete board use a noble drain, and aqua defense that thing for days.

That being said idk if id even do that. So many nice tubs on the market and I can't imagine a time tub being very cozy..

·
Registered
13,355 Posts
I've never heard of or seen Kerdi in a tub. This is not shown in the 2013 manual. Contact Schluter, never know what they may have done in there shop.

Swimming pool contractor????? Shotcrete and seal???

Tom

·
pro
850 Posts
redwood said:
Yeah, but how about bathtubs? I've seen lot's of products certified for showers, but none for bathtubs.
They state that it can be used for spas and hot tubs. If you have a beefy sprayer you can spray multiple layers on to build a nice thick even coat.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hey redwood,

I just took the schluter course back in October. They showed several options for making tub step and tub deck/surround using only kerdi board, but I remember them specifically saying not to use it for a bathtub... I imagine it wouldn't take the pressure.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A fellow attendee in the 2.5 day seminar I went to in Plattsburgh asked about it and a rep said to give him a call. They might not advertise it, but you may be surprised what they will help you with.
There certainly may be a better option here, but I'd love to see it done. Good luck with the project.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts