Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in business 26 years (as of 11/09), and i still have all my job folders from my first jobs ever, up to current. The attic is getting overcrowded with file boxes at this point and aside from the 7 year IRS standard, how long do others here keep job files?
In my early years I did 80% additions and my liability insurance policies had "completed structure" coverage that covered my work should anything happen years down the road. Part of me thinks I should save these old files, and part of me wants to "clean house". Any comments?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Get some cheapie banker boxes, and clean "the house" you have to deal with all the time, but save those files in your attic or somewhere else out of the way of your daily haunts.

I'm like you, I am leery of getting rid of old files.

Clutter, thats another thing. I have been accused of claiming my favorite tool to be the garbage can.

(Neat freak)

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
attic

I have lots of banker boxes in the attic, but last 3 years have been shredding the oldest one each time I put a new one up there. I don't want to leave a headache for my heirs, and my wife likes it too.
Jim

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
We use plastic storage boxes because........

termites, roaches, and water leaks destroyed several years of our records. We keep our records indefinitely because we give our customers lifetime guarantees on most of our work and because we need to see the exact scope of the work to make sure of what we did. When we know exactly what we did we also know what additional services may be sold.

We use a database to store and retrieve all our records. All our records are stored by the Month Number we did the job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts