Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks quick question. I am doing a another full kitchen remodel and starting thinking about keeping cabinets instead of trashing them with the hopes of selling them or reusing them in my own home. Do you guys think it's worth bringing the cabinets back to my place? And do you think someone out there would want decent used cabinets?

Property Room Cabinetry Kitchen Countertop

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,778 Posts
Those cabinets have a CL value for sure. I don't normally keep them, but I encourage the HO to sell them to recoop some money. That way they're outta my way when I get there & I don't have to deal with em.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm good point I will bring that up with the H.O. Your right I wouldn't have to worry about them at all. And there in decent shape I felt back just tossing them lol.

Could you give me a idea of what he could ask for the whole set. 1/4? 1/3? maybe of regular price maybe?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'd give them to habitat
Yep...Find a nearby Habitat for Humanity Restore. They'll come pick them up and leave a slip for tax deduction for the donation. That said, I'm actually surprised at what they are willing to take.....I've had customers that had them pick up cabinets that makes that picture look like the "after" photo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm just wondering what do you guys keep from sites if anything. Lol I don't know why but I find myself keeping something from every cool project like this like a trophy hahaha.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,031 Posts
Hmm just wondering what do you guys keep from sites if anything.
Basically nothing. Some stuff has value on Craigslist or as a donation. Other than that, free at the curb so I don't have to haul / pay for disposal or off to the dump it goes.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I just unloaded a set of cabinets from a Redo.Gone in three days.Picked up on site by someone else,no need to load up and move to landfill and pay their fees.
I had ran an ad on CL and a local Facebook page called Ct.Pickers,got about five calls in the first day.
Figured I made a days pay from what I sold them for and the time and expense of getting them to the landfill.
They were in worse shape than those you have there.
One call was from someone doing over a rental,couple for garage storage.they should be an easy sell.

·
Registered
12,812 Posts
I used to keep lots of stuff. Now if it isn't something I'm interested in like vintage light fixtures, I just toss it. I have acquired a few nice items over the years and keep them. Things like antique desks or chairs are usually given to me as a gift and I accept them in that spirit.

I used to think everything had a use. Then I had a yard full of crap. I don't do that anymore, well, not as much anyway. :whistling

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Even if they're pretty rough, CL is great. There's a huge difference, it seems, between free and almost free. You can save on dump fees on just about anything as long as it's free. I make sure to stipulate, "I will not help load"

·
Registered
10 Posts
If something is nice, we'll donate to Habitat and put the customers name on the receipt. Give it to them with the bill. They appreciate that.

If it's just something we want gone that's a pain in the back, minimal value, but someone will take it (think of a 36" old tube tv or a big metal desk), we'll drag it to the curb with a big sign saying "FREE" - never fails. If it's copper, iron, etc. I put by my curb on trash day for the metal collector that comes by every week. Saves me a fee and he's out there making a buck.

Other than that, we haul to the dump and bet a coffee/soda on who can guess closest to the dump fee.

Every now and then, we'll find something interesting that we'll grab for kicks. This recent remodel, we found these heavy metal clips holing the back of a cast iron tub ( instead of a ledger board and nails). Probably common in the 50's, but we had never seen one.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
In addition to someone actually wanting them they would need to be a perfect fit. Not going to get a matching piece. I installed some used cabinets in my garage for storage.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Habitat is a good thing. Craigslist works well also. Especially for kitchen cabinets. They will go quick. I would try for $1,000. For the most part, we set stuff by the curb. Sometimes it is gone within 10 minutes. On more than one occasion I will set something out and before I can make another trip, its gone. Patio door panels, windows, random cabinets, any type of metal, old appliances. (don't forget to remove the doors of refrigertors)
I always talk to the homeowner about what will happen to the stuff. I don't want them to think I was making a profit off of thier stuff. If they want to deal with it, I set the stuff in one location and they can mess with it when they want.
I try to get rid of stuff as easy as possible and at the least amount of expense to me.
I try not to save anything. I've saved some junk for a while, but I usually get sick of looking at it and throw it away.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts