Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all . I relocated about 4 years ago and started back at sq 1 after running a successful business building homes. Went to work for someone starting off. Built some contacts and started up on my own again. I had a very busy summer. Made some good contacts subbing from bigger contractors as well as getting my own customer base. Now things have slowed down for me and I am worrying about work. Two questions? One should I concentrate on developing my own clients or getting more bigger FCC to do sub work for The hard thing about the ladder. Is that I have to keep distance from home owners as valuable contacts. To avoid stepping on any toes. . I am going to print and distribute flyers today and finish getting my web page developed. . Angie's list gas been a bust even paid version. . Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thx

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know from reading posts most of you have more work then you can shake a stick at. I am happy about that. I also know that after being in construction for 17 years it can be feast or famine. And it takes a while to build big enough customer base to always have work as it did for me 1st go round in different state. But it's hard not to worry when work slows down with a young family to help support. Just looking for any helpful advice to broaden my customer base. Thanks to all in advance

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Contact your customer base and ask for referrals.

How did you build a successful contracting business before? Do what you did back then.

Working only as a sub ruins your homeowner referral network. You're right to think you can't pass out your card to someone elses's client base without some serious conflicts.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
All of the above---plus---face time---go visit your customers, tell them you have an unexpected opening in your schedule and ask if they have any needs right now,before you become to busy for the smaller jobs.

I never enjoyed the door knocking,but that did keep us working during the worst times-----

·
Super Moderator
28,756 Posts
When we slow down or I see a slow down coming I network. I go to Chamber, HBA and civic mixers. Volunteer for functions. If you have time, get involved on a committee level. I get a lot of refferals from various board service, and make a lot of contacts.

Take your portfolio to some architects and designers, ask if you can help them in any way.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
When you're slow network. When you're busy network harder. I network ALL the time, even when having dinner with my wife. Now I'm so busy I have to do a 50 square siding job by myself with one hand because there just aren't enough people to do the work and old man winter is rolling in.

Network, network, network....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good advice. I like idea of networking from being boards . Thanks guys. I got big job starting in nov . But trying to get fill work until then . Preferable not this friend and family benefit work I have been doing lately.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
One helper. I call them hands because helper sounds woosey. Only one because the rest of them are spoken for.
2 kitchens
1 basement
1 bathroom
1 roof
And a huge tile job before thanksgiving.

Then we have 8 bathrooms in one house before Christmas.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully you will get a well deserved and needed week or two Xmas break. And with all that work. I think you will be able to afford it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Plus absolutely no one wants you working in there home over Xmas break. Hence that is why Xmas is always the deadline.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts