Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellas, I've made a few calls over the last couple days. I've had a crapload of good employees over the years, and if anything else, just to touch base and see how they have been, however, after turning the conversation toward Katrina, this is what came up.

I have 11 guys who will go with 2 weeks notice or less, 4 skilled with equip/trucks, 2 semi skilled with hand tools, and 5 moving maggots.

Never been much for storm chasing, but the magnitude of this baby has got me thinking.

Plus I might just get the chance to drag the bass boat over Teetor's way.:cheesygri

What ya think?

Bob

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I think that unless you guys also have campers or bunk trailers, or don't mind sleeping in the truck, don't go. It's gonna be like camping for months.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Have you watched the news lately? I'd wait around six months- it'll take them that long to dewater the city, figure out what's contaminated, and get the animals who are looting, raping, and pilaging under control. I doubt you'll see any serious rebuilding efforts taking place in less than a year.

Head there now, and you'll be lucky to keep your tools and trucks for more than a day.

Bob

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I think you are right too. But once the building begins, it's gonna be years and years of work.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
I think you might be right .......Bob.

Bob

I feel like I'm talking to myself.:cheesygri
Bob you sure you wanna go there? Looks like a whole bunch of people would like to seperate you from your tools and stuff. (Now a nice soft easy insurance inspector job, I'd be interested, I can run faster with a lap top quicker than I could with a table saw)
If anyone know who does the hiring for those companies, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Flooded New Orleans is only a small area of this 90,000 sq miles that needs to be fixed. There are many areas in the outskirts that just need a new roof, few shinlges and/or , doors and windows that need replacing. Lets not forget the others affected that don't get there 15 minutes of fame. Sure there will be alot of work for years to come. But rebuilding peoples lives is alot more rewarding than building a second or third house for someone. Our hearts go out to "ALL" those effected by this tradegy!

Cheers to all that help. :Thumbs:

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
noreast05 said:
Flooded New Orleans is only a small area of this 90,000 sq miles that needs to be fixed. There are many areas in the outskirts that just need a new roof, few shinlges and/or , doors and windows that need replacing. Lets not forget the others affected that don't get there 15 minutes of fame.
That is what I was thinking as I read this thread
New Orleans has the most dramatic video, but there are lot's of areas that are hit
My neighbor's best friend's family lives in a small town outside of NO
It's pretty much gone, the family outside of Louisiana pulled together and bought a camper for them that's being driven down in a few days

The family in Louisiana said the local supermarket had it's door smashed by debris and has been "looted"
The only things missing are some diapers, some water, small amounts of food, and some propane
Notice I said some
Apparently nobody wants to hoard anything because they don't want to short someone else who might need it
They take what they need, and leave the rest for others
...along with some notes apologizing for having to take the necessities
Nothing else is in the store is disturbed

NO isn't the only place that needs massive help
And every place that needs massive help is not like NO

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bob, I'm glad you started this thread. I might be interested in going down after the smoke clears. Plenty of hardwood flooring needing repaired.;) Really, I have been cross trained over the years in many areas of construction. So, I just may be there with my chainsaws.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Before Katrina the pay rates were tiny. I understand demand will drive prices up, but they got a long way to go before they get to what I make here and I'm not exactly at the top of the pay scale.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little smoke clearing is in order for sure, I just hope it's not gun smoke.

Slick, I'm glad to hear at least one of the effected communities knows a little something about self honor. I can't believe some of the looters don't even try to hide their faces. It would be tough enough knowing I was a scumbag, but knowing and screaming it to the world puts them in a category I can't begin to describe.

A note to looters:
Food and water? a mans gota do what a mans gota do, but a new set of leather nickers, give us a fricken break and shoot yourself! Your showing the rest of the world our dirty underwear (YOU).

How about them apples.

Bob

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
AAPaint said:
Yeah, but the NG has been sent in with armed troops and shoot to kill orders! I guess bullets are cheaper than the food and water. :eek:
I bet you wouldn't mind the 'kill-orders' if YOUR DAUGHTER was one of the 'little-girls' getting GANG-RAPED down there, - - or if it was YOUR SON trying to land a RESCUE CHOPPER and getting shot at!!

Oh, - - that's right, - - another BUSH conspiracy!!

You're CLUELESS!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
slickshift said:
That is what I was thinking as I read this thread
New Orleans has the most dramatic video, but there are lot's of areas that are hit
My neighbor's best friend's family lives in a small town outside of NO
It's pretty much gone, the family outside of Louisiana pulled together and bought a camper for them that's being driven down in a few days

The family in Louisiana said the local supermarket had it's door smashed by debris and has been "looted"
The only things missing are some diapers, some water, small amounts of food, and some propane
Notice I said some
Apparently nobody wants to hoard anything because they don't want to short someone else who might need it
They take what they need, and leave the rest for others
...along with some notes apologizing for having to take the necessities
Nothing else is in the store is disturbed

NO isn't the only place that needs massive help
And every place that needs massive help is not like NO

Great story, Slick, - - bet we won't see or hear THAT on the NEWS!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts