Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up my new kapex from ups, and I'm a little disappointed already. First of I can't believe that you have to remove the fence to bevel to 45 degrees. But the worst part is there is a horrible grinding noise when you try to adjust bevel and it gets louder and harder to move the further it goes. This can't be normal is it?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So I just picked up my new kapex from ups, and I'm a little disappointed already. First of I can't believe that you have to remove the fence to bevel to 45 degrees. But the worst part is there is a horrible grinding noise when you try to adjust bevel and it gets louder and harder to move the further it goes. This can't be normal is it?
Call festool asap. Contact Shane through the festool owners group forum. You'll be right as rain in a few days.

Have you read the operating instructions?

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
As stated flip up the release lever, turn the green dial to 45º/45º. If you need to go to 47º set the dial to that. 45º/45º overrides the 0º stop.

You do not have to remove the fences, just slide them out to clear the rails. Every bevel saw I own I've had to slide the fences out to the way when beveling anything much more than 30º.

Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the release is flipped up all the way, the more I search the web the more I find that this is an ongoing issue with the grinding noise. Also found a bunch of black soot behind the motor cooling duct(haven't even plugged it in yet). And yes the fence does have to be removed because the forward facing rails hit the fence at 30 degrees to the right. So to cut a 45 degree bevel on the flat you end up with only a 3/4" tall fence. Not impressed so far.

·
Always Learning
8,654 Posts
It sucks to get a new tool and have issues. That said, go back to your dealer or call Festool right away Monday. They will take care of it promptly. As far as the fences, both my Dewalts also have to have the fences moved all the way out to cut on a 45 bevel.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
Yes the release is flipped up all the way, the more I search the web the more I find that this is an ongoing issue with the grinding noise. Also found a bunch of black soot behind the motor cooling duct(haven't even plugged it in yet). And yes the fence does have to be removed because the forward facing rails hit the fence at 30 degrees to the right. So to cut a 45 degree bevel on the flat you end up with only a 3/4" tall fence. Not impressed so far.
black soot?:blink:..sounds Kaput...:shifty:

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
I wish it only took the fences being moved out, this saw you have to take them off
I just checked mine, it will bevel 45º left with the fence slid to the stop, you are correct about having to remove the fence for 45º right bevel.

Sounds like you got a damaged unit or the dealer sent you a returned unit. Any chance you'll tell us where you purchased the unit?

Tom

·
I like Green things
23,034 Posts
black soot?:blink:..sounds Kaput...:shifty:
The black is probably carbon from the brushes setting.

No biggie.

The grinding still sounds like you are trying to adjust the bevel the opposite way the green knob is set. It is a series of gears under the cord wrap cover.

The sub fences and the bevel have never been an issue for me. I rarely cut a bevel on anything anyway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took a closer look and the grinding/scraping is coming from something rubbing against the top face of the bevel dial, if I push back lightly on the dial(degree indicator) the sound goes away. Got to look through paperwork and find out who the insurance company bought the saw from and call them, hopefully I can make arrangements and I don't have to go through the insurance.

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Call Featool service direct, the service department number is on the saw. The dealer registers the tools for warranty.

Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do all dealers register festool purchases? I called once on a sander and festool told me it had not been registered. Played around with it last night and on the 45 degree setting it barely makes it to 45 and pretty much grinds to a halt going left. I need to contact an admin person at the FOG site, I never have posted and now realize I never got a verification email when I signed up last year. I will be contacting festool Monday morning for sure.

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Do all dealers register festool purchases? I called once on a sander and festool told me it had not been registered. Played around with it last night and on the 45 degree setting it barely makes it to 45 and pretty much grinds to a halt going left. I need to contact an admin person at the FOG site, I never have posted and now realize I never got a verification email when I signed up last year. I will be contacting festool Monday morning for sure.
All dealers are supposed to register the tools they sell. You can do it here just to be sure;

https://www.festoolusa.com/account/register-tools/

I sent Shane a link to this thread. Unless he is away or really busy he responds pretty quickly. I've had nothing but good experiences dealing with Shane. He is a member here and has responded in the past, I don't recall his screen name, I'll hunt it down.

Tom

·
Banned
89 Posts
Parkside,

Sorry to read about your Kapex issues. I would like to offer to help you out.

I did not read that you verified that you set the bevel knob to +/- 45. That is the setting that's necessary to bevel in both directions. Otherwise, you can only bevel one direction by design so that there's a positive stop at zero degrees.

Also, I can't tell if you bought the saw new or used. In the first post you say it's new but then you refer to an insurance company that bought it. Either way, the saw will have a three year warranty. Without proof of purchase, we would need to look at when the saw was shipped to the dealer to determine its age.

Please send me an email with your contact information (name, address, phone number), where the saw was purchased, is it new/used and the serial number. I will have someone reach out to you from our service team first thing in the morning.

I would also like to quickly address the grinding issue that you read about online. When the Kapex was first introduced in 2007, the first units had a grinding issue with the miter gauge. This issue was quickly resolved and no other units had an issue after that. It had nothing to do with the bevel. Also, you should be able to just slide the fence without completely removing it to bevel completely to each side.

Again, apologies for the trouble but I'm sure we'll get it quickly resolved to your satisfaction.

Shane Holland
Festool USA
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Shane,

I tried the bevel right, the fence had to be removed to set it to 45º. I've been using the Kapex for about 4 years and first time I realized it was when I checked for the thread. Bevel left there is a "notch" in the fence to clear the yoke/trunion. Tells you how much I use the bevel.

Thank you for responding.

Tom

·
Banned
89 Posts
Thanks, Tom. I'll have to go check that out. I thought it didn't have to be completely removed. If that's the case, sorry for the misinformation. You would think I would know since I just cut a bunch of trim recently.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts