Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the winter project we first started working the bids for a year ago. The first pictures are of phase one and phase two concrete work, and the stem walls are for raising the elevation of phase two to dock height.

The phase one building is 13,500 sq/ft. with a 2nd floor mezzanine deck with an additional 4500 sq/ft. The building is 90 wide, x 150 long x 20 high, 1/12 roof pitch.

Phase two is a simple 80 wide by 200 long by 16 high industrial space. 16,000 sq/ft of red iron. There is about 1300 yards of concrete so far in the project.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steel erection pictures. Red iron framing, and the mezzanine supports split the 90 wide top frames, but there is one 90 wide clear span, and it was heavy. The last three are from this last week. The reason there is a gap in the pictures is this: I am getting in the habit of using my cell phone and posting to facebook.

The store front is visible, as is the 13 overhead doors in this building. Lots of cuts. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of how we lift a 90 foot clear span 1/12 frame rafter. Since we don't use cranes, and the spreader bar wasn't long enough to safely secure the twist, this is how: The larger Lull, my 844, has rotating forks, and the rafter was secured to the forks in a balance point. Then, after it is in position, the smaller lift, the 644, is raised to hold the center load, and then repeated on the opposite. Works every time. This is why we have a bag of tricks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,859 Posts
Nice project, Jay.

Reactions: Joasis

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 5400 sq/ft home I am doing the ICF and concrete on about 3 blocks away....too.

We start framing Monday (weather permitting) the Renfrow Home, and I build the walls of the Ringwood Home middle of next also. This is a tough schedule to make fly. We have two more buildings on this site to erect, and offices to frame of 1650 sq/ft. Three more steel buildings in sequence following, plus another commercial office space...and I am looking at renting a booth for the Tulsa Farm Show to keep the schedule full. Yikes.

·
Super Moderator
28,859 Posts
Being too busy is better than sitting at the house :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"bag of tricks", aka a system.
I watched a guy actually try and lift a 1/12 rafter on a 100 foot clear span, already assembled, meaning the true length was like 96 feet, and it weighed probably #5500 or so.....anyway, I can only assume he had never worked large steel. They get it up on edge, and then lifted in the middle to bolt the halves together.....then lift it some more to tighten it all up, then then without a safety chain, begin the lift...and the only thing he did right was something all of us do when setting steel....never let a scissor lift or manlift close until you are ready to use a spud or bull pin for alignment and get a few bolts in.....until 2 bolts are in, I don't even breath....very stressful......so anyway, he gets the rafter up maybe halfway to the height it was heading, and tried to drive forward, since he didn't set where he needed to to not have to move the machine (why I love Lulls and the traversing carriage) and the rafter "rocked" and the ends being heavy, like 4 feet tall, rolled and flopped like a 2x laying flat, and after then end about hit the concrete from 10 feet up, the frame buckled in the middle...ruining it. No fixing it, no welding or repairing it, no straitening it...it was twisted, racked, sprung and scrap iron when he was done....first one in the air, and he just walked off the job. He was damned lucky he didn't kill anyone.....oh yeah...another lesson for those of you reading this and thinking about steel....a telehandler will rarely ever move forward or back without some "jerk" when it goes into or out of gear...when I do heavy lifts, I stay in gear and then when hit neutral and set the parking brake, I will not move fore or back again with the load up high. Bring it down and reposition if you must....safer then the consequences.

I was erecting a building next door with out old 7C Lull and scissor bed truck....and the guy who hired the "pro" came over and asked me if I could do it...looked at our antique forklift and asked if I was sure....sure I am sure. :thumbsup: I sure as hell wasn't sure....but watching the other guy destroy that frame taught me all about attacking it in sections....when the roof pitch is flat. I built a prop for the rafter end like a giant saw horse, and set it on the scissor bed truck....rested the rafter on it and then raised the opposite side and that was it.

That was my first large clear span.....I have since done 140 clears, and they will make you sweat and hold your breath until you are blue....but doable,...if you just think it through. 2/12 or greater and 100 or shorter can safely and easily lifted from the center with a lift..as long as it has the capacity without overloading....and longer then 100 a spreader bar or 2 lifts is mandatory. Any longer then you would have to do multiple lifts.

Hope you enjoy the long discourse.....I was recently told I was old and washed up...or washed out? Don't remember....:laughing:

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What PEMB manufacturer do you use?

I primarily use Taylor and Sons out of Chickasha, Ok., because, they refer a lot of jobs to me....many people call direct to buy a steel building, and don't know an erector or contractor....so the relationship is important. I also use BC Steel, Alliance, Mueller, and a few others that do component buildings, meaning they buy the parts from various sources and package the building.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've never heard of Taylor, but I'd say that's a relationship I'd want to keep!! Looking good.

I've been a dealer for Star for the last twelve years, just recently switched to Alliance. We've put up about every major metal building mfg there is tho, except Butler I've stayed away from them. That's all we do tho, pre-engineered, structural steel and concrete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts