Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
10,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6am to 2am. Woohoo!

Haven't done that in a while, but hey, when somebody offers you 24 access to a commercial jobsite, you take that! I listened to so much awful music in a giant warehouse and assembled pallet racks. Great night.
Very tired now. hah

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I just came off 2 months of runnin full tilt. Realized this weekend I was burnt out. Now I'm trying to get back in the grove and get about a month and a half of jobs checked off the list that are hard to get excited about so I have some room for better ones. Part of it...

I decided from now on I need to do a better job of keepin up with the books and keeping all those small tasks caught up, otherwise it just gets overwhelming after they pile up.

·
Punching above his weight
10,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just came off 2 months of runnin full tilt. Realized this weekend I was burnt out. Now I'm trying to get back in the grove and get about a month and a half of jobs checked off the list that are hard to get excited about so I have some room for better ones. Part of it...

I decided from now on I need to do a better job of keepin up with the books and keeping all those small tasks caught up, otherwise it just gets overwhelming after they pile up.

Ditto.

I played my hand about as poorly as it possibly could have been played the last month. Very frustrated with myself. I had 4 larger jobs that were all solid and should have had good margins and about half a dozen to a dozen smaller jobs that are all nice little paydays. Completely botched the very first job, that ran into the second job, which is now on top of the 3rd and 4th job. All the deposit money is spent hiring extra laborers to help me catch up. Basically giving job 3 away to other contractors right now just in the interest of having it done on time and keeping the customer happy. The only job that I'm actually going to make good money on this month is the commercial job which is going to be net 30, which means I am completely ass out until like, October. hah
Oy vey. Hopefully I get 3 out of the 4 big ones knocked out by the end of this week so I can focus on the little guys which, as you said, are now piling up.

Please be fall soon.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
12 is about my max for sustainable over a couple weeks. I havent done a twenty since 2011.
Just curious, what happens if you go over 12/day for more than a couple weeks.

I'd say I get a little depressed and unmotivated. It is more of a mental thing that physically tired.

My problem is that this is also my hobby so when I get home at night or on Sundays I'm either on CT, looking at tools, watching carpentry videos, etc. I take very little time away to actually completely unplug from things "work related".

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Ditto.

I played my hand about as poorly as it possibly could have been played the last month. Very frustrated with myself. I had 4 larger jobs that were all solid and should have had good margins and about half a dozen to a dozen smaller jobs that are all nice little paydays. Completely botched the very first job, that ran into the second job, which is now on top of the 3rd and 4th job. All the deposit money is spent hiring extra laborers to help me catch up. Basically giving job 3 away to other contractors right now just in the interest of having it done on time and keeping the customer happy. The only job that I'm actually going to make good money on this month is the commercial job which is going to be net 30, which means I am completely ass out until like, October. hah
Oy vey. Hopefully I get 3 out of the 4 big ones knocked out by the end of this week so I can focus on the little guys which, as you said, are now piling up.

Please be fall soon.
This is the life we live brotha. Hang in there. :thumbup: Dangerous game once you're paying employees and actually losing money. That is one reason I don't like to quote jobs very far out, just in case I'm off my game on quoting I don't want to be stuck in a rut for who knows how long.

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
I pulled a couple of back to back 70 hour weeks earlier this year. When your in the midst of it, it doesn't seem so bad. After you drop back to 40-50 per week, you start to notice how run down you have become.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
I have done a few days like that. Once in a while its ok. I try to stay around 10-12 a day 5 days a week. Saturdays are light office/shop days.

I can understand working that long if you have the access. Sometimes its way nicer to work off hours when no one else is around.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Good job, things need to done, and ya did it! I have a saying, keeping it pg-13 for the site here! I can't do that anymore, could about 20 years back. "was able to $*%& all night, now takes all night to $*%& !" LOL We be gettin' older, do it while you can!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts

You nailed it. Last month we had two 84 hour work weeks. I had one guy working the morning shift and one the evening shift. The problem is you arn't spending anytime catching up on paperwork, ordering the correct materials and such when you are just racing to beat the band.

Reactions: Spencer

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,698 Posts
Pin, I was reading through your shop build thread the other day. Had me droolin pretty good. How's that thing working out for ya? Wish it was bigger yet?
Shops doing good & I count my blessing every morning when I turn on the lights. We've still got a lot of organizing to do, but we've already put a lot of finished projects out of it. I'm scared to do any marketing for the woodworking side of our business, since I'm barely keeping with what's coming down the pipe right now.

We had a short day today. 11 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
649 Posts
overanalyze said:
I have done a few days like that. Once in a while its ok. I try to stay around 10-12 a day 5 days a week. Saturdays are light office/shop days. I can understand working that long if you have the access. Sometimes its way nicer to work off hours when no one else is around.
That's pretty much what I do.

Sometimes, for me anyways, if I'm too wore out, it's just better to head to the house.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I pulled a couple of back to back 70 hour weeks earlier this year. When your in the midst of it, it doesn't seem so bad. After you drop back to 40-50 per week, you start to notice how run down you have become.
Yep. Its the stopping that will get ya.

By the way, I love your signature. 100% Truth. :thumbup:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I am hitting on 16 to 18 hours a day from just about a month now with no days off, I hate doing it but have given jobs to a few buddies because I seem to just be getting butt kicked lately...

Not sure when I can lighten up but I am really feeling it today, let alone not having the time to complete bids and bills...then I sit looking at CT, poor use of time by me I guess.

I have a barn to put up at my place before winter yet for the animals....aggggggggghhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I work them long hours in the cold months ( not very cold here ) so i can enjoy the warm months and not be miserable . Did work 10 hours last saturday, wired a garage then tiled a counter top and entry

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've been doing 70+ hour weeks for 3 months now and they won't end until December. I'm booked through the end of the year and scheduled the first job for 2015.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts