Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished this one up. It has fiberon horizon decking, Correct Deck CX fascia, Correct Deck CX rails with deckorators balusters.

The project started as just a small redeck off the master bedroom and redeck the one under the roof... Well then we added a 12x16 deck off the kitchen, added the roof cover, added stucco, and painted the soffits and fascia.

I still have to put the final touches on a "pocket" gate and will take some pics of that setup.

The before is not really before, but it is the earliest progress pic I have.

Attachments

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the compliments

I will take some more detail pics when I finish the gate up. About the roof... Trusses baby, its the only way to go. When the truss designer first looked at it he said it could not be done small enough to work and not hit the windows so I had to tell him how it would work if he would build it a certain way.

I did not like the horizon product at all. The boards were different widths, too soft, NOT reversible (like they say it is), too much thermal expansion/contraction. I think I went into more detail on my dislikes on another thread somewhere. They went against my recommendations with the decking product otherwise I would have tried the horizon on a much smaller project.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,518 Posts
Nicely done Robert. Couple of questions;

Are those skylites in the vaulted ceiling & if not what are those?

Do you always put the little diamond over where the facia meets at the peak? I know a framing crew here that did that on all their houses, always easy to tell which ones they did when driving thru one of the old neighborhoods.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
About the roof... Trusses baby, its the only way to go. When the truss designer first looked at it he said it could not be done small enough to work and not hit the windows so I had to tell him how it would work if he would build it a certain way.
what I suspected, very stunning look on that gable end:thumbsup: those trusses must look like boomerangs
with the sheathed roof providing much of the racking, there must be a tremendous wind/shear force at the tie in, is the sheathing tied back into that existing gable?

·
Registered
440 Posts
looks very good especially the way in integrates in with the rest of the house

·
Registered
Custom cabinetry
9,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bone, yup we were able to tie into the existing sheathing perfectly (rare when it works out that well) and yes they were very boomerang like, I thought I had some pictures of the gable assembly but I guess I was wrong. It was quite heavy since it was a double truss and they all had 2x6 top and bottom chords. We put it together on the ground along with the truss behind it with 2x4 outlookers. We also used the Correct Deck CX fascia for all the fascia on the roof part.

Deckman, yes those are skylights as the new pictures will show.
We always (almost) do those "kites" on the top of the gable fascia it dresses it up a lot and was the best thing to do in this situation since we used a composite fascia and this allows a lot more expansion/contraction.

Here are some more pics with the gate (the latch was the homeowners choosing) I was looking for something a little stronger but it works fine.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts