Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...almost. I have ordered all of my equipment, picked up my media (glass, walnut, and soda), bought a trailer and air compressor, ordered the Nova 2000 kit, got my business licenses mostly completed...

I have gone with the Surface Tek 2.5 pot (in transit). I got a good deal on an older Ingersoll Rand 250 compressor that I'm going to strip down and mount into a new 7x16 enclosed trailer (I will post pics of this project if anybody is interested). I was going to do an open trailer, but I have read a lot of posts on here lately and decided to go enclose and so far am excited I did. I like the peace of mind knowing my equipment will be locked up and not accessible to wondering eyes and hands. I think the big white sides of the trailer will be great for advertising. I figure with the cold I could be done in a week or two.

I will be doing this full time and am currently trying to come up with a decent logo so I can have vinyl graphics made for vehicles and trailer as well as business cards and such.

I want to thank Glen (betterblast) for answering questions for me the last few weeks. I'm scared out of my mind for this is my first business. I've been in retail management for 15 years and was done with it. Big change, but I believe it is for the best.

What tools and/or supplies do you guys carry with you to jobs besides the obvious (compressor, blast equipment, and media)? I went to harbor freight and home depot today to get things like a broom, garbage can, wall hooks for the trailer, LED light, some tarps, gloves, etc. I want the trailer to be self sufficient without having to borrow stuff from my garage.

I look forward to learning from/with you guys on my new venture!!

Thank you,
John

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Hey John wellcome to the world of blasting.
I would like to know where are you located?

if you need anything please feel free to ask all of us on here.
we all do it for the money but you gotta love it to.

Good luck in you new job!
Best wishes
Jim

PS - Quick clamps at HD, $1 a piece grab 40 ea. great to hold up plastic and stuff. They have green handles?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Salt Lake City, UT. Great idea on the quick clamps, that makes a lot of sense. What other tools or devices do you guys carry with you?

John

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I tow my compressor, so having lots of extra stuff is limited. I have to think ahead.
If you’re going to a trailer setup then you’ll be good for room.
(I’ve been looking at the truck set Vs, Trailer) I seem to like the trailer myself.
Extra things:
Compressor: Tool Box, Oil, and Parts that go bad all the time (loose wires etc…)
Blasting: Extra air hose 15’, half mask, and one full face for clean up (besides my blast air feed), 4 different size nozzles. Pipe wrenches
Extras: Lots of green clips, Buckets shovels tarps, extension cords, volt meter (I’ve needed this a few times For the blast pot and compressor), some jobs a vacuum.
After a few jobs you start to say to yourself. I got to bring this and that next time ….
Every job is different; some you bring extra tarps, some jobs everything stays in the truck…
I'll think of more later.

·
powder coating mogul
71 Posts
...almost. I have ordered all of my equipment, picked up my media (glass, walnut, and soda), bought a trailer and air compressor, ordered the Nova 2000 kit, got my business licenses mostly completed...

I have gone with the Surface Tek 2.5 pot (in transit). I got a good deal on an older Ingersoll Rand 250 compressor that I'm going to strip down and mount into a new 7x16 enclosed trailer (I will post pics of this project if anybody is interested). I was going to do an open trailer, but I have read a lot of posts on here lately and decided to go enclose and so far am excited I did. I like the peace of mind knowing my equipment will be locked up and not accessible to wondering eyes and hands. I think the big white sides of the trailer will be great for advertising. I figure with the cold I could be done in a week or two.

I will be doing this full time and am currently trying to come up with a decent logo so I can have vinyl graphics made for vehicles and trailer as well as business cards and such.

I want to thank Glen (betterblast) for answering questions for me the last few weeks. I'm scared out of my mind for this is my first business. I've been in retail management for 15 years and was done with it. Big change, but I believe it is for the best.

What tools and/or supplies do you guys carry with you to jobs besides the obvious (compressor, blast equipment, and media)? I went to harbor freight and home depot today to get things like a broom, garbage can, wall hooks for the trailer, LED light, some tarps, gloves, etc. I want the trailer to be self sufficient without having to borrow stuff from my garage.

I look forward to learning from/with you guys on my new venture!!

Thank you,
John
Good luck , John .

I am just getting into the business , also . :thumbup:

·
Todd
848 Posts
welcome aboard john

for the surface tek pot you will need two big pipe wrenches to remove the chamber out of the bottom of the pot...you will have to do this pretty often...

you will also need a allen flip out kit to remove the set screw in the tip...you will also have to do this very often...

you should also order many tips,chambers,white teflon orings for the chamber,black orings for the top plate,i would also have on hand a replacment solenoid for the five way valve on the pot,having a spare part for the machine when you are on the job will cut down major headaches for you...ask me how i know...lol

you sound to be on the right track and also make sure you have an aftercooler installed on the trailer.

one more thing reread all the threads in the sandblasting section...there is tons of info here to help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts