Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
I wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Stephen and I have a drin..... I mean I am a finish carpenter.
I live outside of Nashville, TN. I am originally from NJ.

I have been lurking the forums for quite some time and figured it was time to join and start being active.

I'd like to thank you guys, as I have already learned much from you all. I am always trying to improve my skills and learn something new.

I CARE about how my work looks, unlike many of the hacks I have worked with here in TN.

I am currently working for another company, but lately have been considering branching out and drumming up my own business.

Thanks.

Here are a few pics of my recent work:

I did all the crown work, base, doors and bead board ceiling. Another guy on the crew did the stairs in the one pic and IMHO is not up to snuff.

How do you guys like my makeshift miter clamp. LOL. I need to order some collins...

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
I like the makeshift clamp. Ever hear of the glue 2P10?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pics:

The billiards room was in a basement and was a project my dad and I did when I was in NJ. The basement was 2600sqft and we finished the whole thing. The tin in the tray is WF Norman hand stamped tin.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How tall is that door? 8'?

Welcome!
Yes, it's 8', and while I don't like the weighting of the finish, I had to do what the customer and builder decided on.

The door is going to be finished the same as the cabinets, likely acrylic with some type of clear/poly (all finished on site)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the makeshift clamp. Ever hear of the glue 2P10?
yeah, I was thinking about getting some.

I usually use TBII and pins, but one of the things I have been looking at lately is my miter attachments and I am going to likely get some 2p10 and some collins clamps, and use one or the other,depending on application.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
yeah, I was thinking about getting some.

I usually use TBII and pins, but one of the things I have been looking at lately is my miter attachments and I am going to likely get some 2p10 and some collins clamps, and use one or the other,depending on application.
No need for clamps. Two drops, one on each end of the miter and fill in the rest with yellow glue, use a biscuit. And if you are careful you could put it up in a minute or so. Otherwise wait for the TBII to dry (45min) and then it'll be good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No need for clamps. Two drops, one on each end of the miter and fill in the rest with yellow glue, use a biscuit. And if you are careful you could put it up in a minute or so. Otherwise wait for the TBII to dry (45min) and then it'll be good to go.
OK, sounds good. I'll order some up then.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
I like the thick. I find the gel kicks off in the container a lot sooner than the rest. Plus it's 10 bux more than all the rest.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
I get the big bottle now. And because I just use it as a clamp it goes a long time. I'll run out of the spray activator before the glue bottle goes empty. I really wish it had more open time. I'd use it more often. It says 10 seconds, but it really about 6. If it was 15 I could do crown molding with it and be confident. Now it's a rush rush thing and if you miss it locks up and you'll have to break the joint and start over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I get the big bottle now. And because I just use it as a clamp it goes a long time. I'll run out of the spray activator before the glue bottle goes empty. I really wish it had more open time. I'd use it more often. It says 10 seconds, but it really about 6. If it was 15 I could do crown molding with it and be confident. Now it's a rush rush thing and if you miss it locks up and you'll have to break the joint and start over.
So, when running crown, do you use just the glue without activator?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
I use TBII and 23 ga nails. I don't use 2P10 on crown.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't 2P10 on crown unless it's a bullnose corner, where I preassemble it if it's not too long, and for returns. I will use it on mantle crown while building on the bench. I like that the jel stays put on the piece, I've only used thick for one bottle, then switched to the jel.

Returns are the primary use of this glue for me. I use Leo's trick on prefinished grab rail returns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts