Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I just registered here and look forward to participating with Everything at this "Great Site"
A short blurb on me...(us) :
My partner and I are a California General working the Residential field with some Light Commercial T/I on occasions. Each of us has over 20 years in construction so figured it was a good idea to start our own company.
Been Licensed since 1999 as a General and worked on some Really Large scale "A" license projects as a Supervisor prior to getting licensed, as well as spending some time in class to earn a Degree in Construction Technology.
Things are Looking Up Every Day !!!
Glad to Be Here :D

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Welcome to the board Spectatorz!

What types of things did you learn about in a Construction Technology degree.

Let me know if you need any help using the board.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This course starts out with teaching the basics of construction principles. Such as common terms used, tools, standard materials, the fine "Art of Ditchology" (believe it or not many people need lessons on ditch digging !), Plan reading and all symbols used in them,next task was to frame a house type structure including door hanging, drywall installation,stucco and the 3 phases of the process,insulation, building mathematics, concrete concepts, along with Great Attention to Construction Law !! In other words educating people in all the aspects of standard construction practices from digging to framing to wiring to roofing and everthing else in order to build a sound housing structure.
More time was spent learning about electrical wirings and plumbing practices as well.
One of the more important things was to become very familiar with the Big Book of the ICBO code (International Conference of Building Officials) which has recently joined forces with the other building organizations to form the "ICC" (International Code Council) in the effort to make all building codes Universal across the US continent. This is what a Certified "Construction Technology" course entails, earning an AS Degree and included in the study was Math,English, History, Science lab,Psychology,and a foriegn language too. A 2 year full time Course.
Thanks For Asking

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Welcome...I know little about construction :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts