Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 235 Posts

·
Texan
278 Posts
Signage looks great!
The only problem I have with lettering my truck is, I had an insurance agent tell me years ago, that some of the insurance scammers are more apt to target a vehicle that looks like a company vehicle in a staged accident for bigger payoff.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
I think your truck look great. Nice and clean.
I went more for the bilboard look.
Jeebus, where is the negative space? I like the simplicity but the composition doesn't have the big league look, it looks more like it's screaming for attention. It really would look a lot better if it was scaled down for a little breathing room and it won't hurt readability.

I know I'm a bit critical but I see this all the time now. I'm old school and hand painted everything back in the day. I had an art background, like most sign guys. Composition, color and typestyle came first, now in the modern age plotters and printer crank out perfect letters but the operators often have no art background or design skills. The franchise shops employ a lot of low pay burger flipper last week types and rely on high volume.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not likely the van Nick. It was just set up this past week.
I also have my 2013 gmc pick up and a 2004 gmc pick up lettered up.
But yes we do quite a bit of GTA work.
Currently working on a large water loss at Avenue and st Clair.
Flat roof leaked while client was not home. Three floors affected.
Here is the 2013 with the trailer set up.

I usually drive this truck. If you see me say hi some time

·
Registered
677 Posts
Home wood said:
Not likely the van Nick. It was just set up this past week. I also have my 2013 gmc pick up and a 2004 gmc pick up lettered up. But yes we do quite a bit of GTA work. Currently working on a large water loss at Avenue and st Clair. Flat roof leaked while client was not home. Three floors affected. Here is the 2013 with the trailer set up. I usually drive this truck. If you see me say hi some time
Could be tight in that area for parking the truck and trailer, depending on the street, I was in that area last week to price a job and couldn't even find a place to park.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yup that's why I bought the van. Trailer stays out in the burbs.
I work Durham and up in the Kawartha lakes as well.
Toronto is to dam tight but that's where the coin is for the most part anyhow.

·
Working Hard & Smart
18 Posts
Throwing another color in there would help. It made for an easy install, weed out the negative copy and squeegee it on. Plus, the copy is too small. I am a fan of understatement and see nothing wrong with just having the company name if you just want branding identity. People rarely call numbers on vehicles but they might remember the name and they will pay more attention if it catches the eye.

But if you are going to put something on there it shouldn't be work to read. Your name stands out but that doesn't help if you are hoping to pull in carpentry work. I'd make the banner longer and maybe do the copy in white.
I agree 100%.

The truck is more branding than trying to drum up work.
That would make some sense of the small text. Every sign has a job. You want yours make your "logo" be remembered.

Clifton Park Landscape had a similar plan. They have enough work and are not fishing for more. However, they do want people to associate the new logo with the general types of work they do. The plan is to get people used to the "logo" over the next couple years and then we will revamp the logo and have much smaller text and the logo will be bigger.

It will work. I know this because I am the one they hired to design their new logo at a discounted $125 per hour just for this particular feat. They also paid $350 to own and have copies of the artwork. I do Commercial Property Maintenance and also have a sign shop. I am doing their whole fleet. The boxes of the trucks will read COMMERCIAL PROPERTY MAINTENANCE - SNOW & ICE MANAGEMENT. It's not a dash in the middle though. It's 2 color. The pickups will get something on the tailgates as well. Each truck done is $750. He has 7.

Here is your logo compared to the logo I designed for his branding purpose. Which one will you remember? Make you look?

If you want to see more of my work, my sign site is 518wraps. You get what you pay for. You can also search youtube for 518 Wraps Shop (shows the shop before we just revamped it) or 518 Wraps Doll (pimpin' ain't easy boys).

·
Working Hard & Smart
18 Posts
That's not filters. It's actually brushed chrome ($430 a roll) . The job of that sign is to familiarize the *CPL" symbol. And trust me. It will.

I take no offense to your comment. I actually find a lot of humor in it. :) Thanks for the laugh.

I do and fix artwork for some of the biggest shops in the Capital District and they keep coming back. Same thing with several major corporations from which we see almost every day. Especially fishermen.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Looks great A-a.:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap:

Clean, crisp, with a nice feel of professional gravitas.

Kinda like a black Armani suit......as in ....."this guy don't phuck around".

Makes me realize how lame the single mag sign on my tailgate looks (one fell off my pass. door so I had to readjust (now I realize the power of the tailgate).

Reactions: aaron_a

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts

If you want to see more of my work, my sign site is 518wraps. You get what you pay for. You can also search youtube for 518 Wraps Shop (shows the shop before we just revamped it) or 518 Wraps Doll (pimpin' ain't easy boys).
Sorry, but it looks like an eyesore to me. The copy is too small and the graphic image is too complicated for my tastes.

What I always told my customers is to look at the big boys for logos. Simple and straight forward. IBM, Microsoft, Intel, Apple, Coke, Pepsi, you name it. They spend millions on it and want an easily discernable brand/image. The shape should be something easy on the eyes and easy to discern from a distance.

We all have different tastes and my customers came back for 26 years. I'm sure there's a niche for what you offer but it looks more like something for the snowboarding crowd. Some people want a more sedate, classy look. I like Aarons' better, looks more professional to me. I normally wouldn't run off at the keyboard on something personal but you were a bit heavy handed there.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I like mine just fine protek. It could stand to be a bit bigger, but people recognize it, and it has a classy look that I feel speaks to the type of work I do. Your cop image looks like something on the fender of a quad, it's too aggressive.

I do need to get my tailgate done, now that I took the cap off and put the gate back on. I'll probably make the logo a bit bigger on there. I still need to get the van done too, plenty of room to go big on that sucker.

41 - 60 of 235 Posts