Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my licence and on the way to start my own buisness :cheesygri .
I have a nice job on hand just have to figure out how to do this. Well I will try to explain then I would very much appreciate some advise.
The walls are pretty much "naked" (looks a whole lot different them I`m used to) and they have metall (like a mash from to to bottom) on the corners. Also a about an two inch gap between ceiling and walls. So I thought to cover and smooth out the metal with spackling and then put raw wallpaper ( with those wood chips in them, thats if I can find these here) and last paint everything. The gap I am not to sure, she wants trim on it.
Also there are no doorframes there yet. I might take some pictures and post them. That`ll help. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tania... what a friggin way to start your business. I can't figue out if your in the rafters of a chicken coup or in the hull of the USS Scorpion.... lol A pic might be a good way to start..... either that or find a nice repaint close to home. Whats wood chip wallpaper anyway ?... I don't think I have even seen this....hmmmmmm. Good luck on this mission....email me a pic if you can't post it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm thinking of spackle on wire lathe, a disaster in the making.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mark, just noticed your BM trademark. Sometimes I'm a little slow. I work for Plaza Paints (BM dealer) here, 7 stores in 3 Counties.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Tettor....

What 3 countries are you in ?..... I think you are in Florida right ? Have you checked out my web page yet, lots of neat stuff inside to peek at.

Teetorbilt said:
Mark, just noticed your BM trademark. Sometimes I'm a little slow. I work for Plaza Paints (BM dealer) here, 7 stores in 3 Counties.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I'm thinking of spackle on wire lathe, a disaster in the making.
I must agree with teetorbilt,spackling over wire is something to be thought through.
I have no pics to go on so
I will guess,what to do.Can you rasp all edges and bring back trim beyond open (damages)areas and mix up some mud to set REALLY fast and just keep building up?It would last.Ohh and you should bring more wire in to areas that have no wire so as to tie everything in together.Hope I have the right mental image in my mind aand am not steering you wrong,good luck. :D

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
The wire lathe bit has me a little confused. I'm assuming the walls are bare like new construction, i.e. the drywall is finished without paint. If that's the case, you'll want a good primer coat, ask if you need help selecting a suitable primer.

As for the tops of the walls, tell her to put some crown up, problem solved. Same for bottoms if they have gaps, just run some baseboards.

Give us a better idea what kind of lathe is on the walls. Are you sure those aren't the metal corner beads? If they are, it should be floated out to make a flat, square corner with drywall compound. The very tip of the corner beads are slightly rounded, and should still be slightly exposed prior to painting.

If you're not putting up crown, I would recommend filling the holes with strips of wallboard, then taping and mudding those corners between wall and ceiling. I wouldn't recommend just filling with gobs of mud in any case.

Got a pic of the lathe?

EDIT: Are those plaster walls??????? Forgot all about that, lol!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts