Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've wanted a website for about a year now. Been researching and found who I want to build it for me (I'm a computer dummy). Been unable to put aside the 1200.00 for it, the same old deal, every time a emergency came up and whoosh back to square one. Yes I'm just a small fish in the contractors sea.

I've set my goal to have a presence on the web by the end of the year back in Jan. Time to s**t or get off the pot. I've purchased domain name and a couple months of hosting.

So "just for now" I'm looking for a one-five page template cheap web page. Need feedback from the considerable knowledge of CT posters. What's a good one that I can change when I inevitably screw up? Meta tags, back links it's all gobbly **** to me. Will post it for review soon. Feel free to PM me if you like.

Thanks, Paul B.

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
It's been my experience that cheap web sites tend to give off a cheap impression of your company.

That being said, I'd look into Wordpress. Attractive templates out of the box, super easy to use for computer newbies. If you need any help let me know.

·
Nest Home Improvement
890 Posts
Paul
There are a number of free basic websites available in addition to WordPress, there is Yola.com, Google, Blogger and more. These sites are free for you but typically include some advertising that people will see when they visit your site. You don't need to know any technical information as these sites offer various templates that you chose from. You simply need to fill in your specific business information.

There are some other places like Godaddy.com, Homestead.com, and others that only charge a $5 monthly fee and don't include ads.

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
I'd stay away from free website builders and hosting provided templates. Get a CMS (Joomla and Wordpress are free) and go from there. Save yourself the headache.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You're right. My free templates don't offer much. But you cna have the dot-com and enough basic info NOW to start your web presence. The free 5 page site is a large business card to be used until you have a real site up.
Only the site will change with the changes, not your site address or other info. It does work better than 'Page under Construction' or Address Not Found' to get you started.

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
I hope you know I didn't mean anything personal tinner, I didn't even know you offered hosting/templates!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Someone taught me how to use wordpress, and i must say, a monkey can do it. It has all that SEO stuff built in and you can do pretty much anything with it, without paying someone to build a website for you.

·
Banned
22 Posts
I would recommend getting a hosting account - dreamhost.com is one I have used successfully. Plus they, and many others, have one-click installs of Wordpress.

Definately build your site using Wordpress - it is easy to use, and easy to add new content to your site.

Give me a shout if you need any help - building the site is just the first step - then you have to get traffic! :)

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I would recommend getting a hosting account - dreamhost.com is one I have used successfully. Plus they, and many others, have one-click installs of Wordpress.

Definately build your site using Wordpress - it is easy to use, and easy to add new content to your site.

Give me a shout if you need any help - building the site is just the first step - then you have to get traffic! :)
Tried to PM you but unable. Check your user info. You have to allow contacts I think it is.

And yes since I've researched for all this time I'm aware of the work to get the traffic. Thanks.
www.phbconstruction.com

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I hope you know I didn't mean anything personal tinner, I didn't even know you offered hosting/templates!
Not taken personally! I think all resellers offer them. :thumbup:
I've been racking my brains looking for a reply I made the other day that may have seemed like I was attacking YOU! I wasn't, but it read like that when I read it. I apologize if you saw it that way. I can't find the thread! :blink:

A webcard, as I consider them is better than nothing, though not by much. It does offer a way to get a foot in the door. A few weeks tinkering with that, and most people are ready to move up, and it didn't cost them anything extra.
Yes, as a reseller, i can sell at lower costs than GD. A few web dudes have started going through me lately. Every $2-3 saved helps the bottom line.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There is a program called Artisteer that helps you create themes for different CMS's. I'd recommend Wordpress only so just get the home version for $50.

Then design your site and get someone to create a graphic header - another $50 or so.

Get hosting at Hostgator for about $60/year.

That's all you really need

·
Web Dude
153 Posts
I'd stay away from Artisteer, it's got code bloat up the ying yang. I've used it, and was less than impressed.

Tinner and I have already talked about the differences between a pro built site and a "webcard". If you're looking for your website to make money for you, it's worth consulting with a pro.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd stay away from Artisteer, it's got code bloat up the ying yang. I've used it, and was less than impressed.

Tinner and I have already talked about the differences between a pro built site and a "webcard". If you're looking for your website to make money for you, it's worth consulting with a pro.

Maybe you can show where the bloat is?

It's just a wordpress theme that controls styling. There actually is no code at all unless you think wordpress is full of useless php.

·
Banned
22 Posts
you look familiar... not sure where.. you a chamber member?
Yes, I am in the Olathe Chamber. I am on the Chairmans Liaison Committee - in fact I will be at the meeting tomorrow (Wednesday).

Are you in the Olathe Chamber? We should meet up sometime....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts