Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had intended on spraying one coat of oil primer and then one coat of SW Superpaint on my previously painted (latex) cedar sided house.

The SW guy said why don't you just use one coat of Duration since it is self priming?

The professional who painted my house last time did one coat oil one coat Sw Super. The SW web site states one coat oil primer, one coat duration.

This will be my last paint job. We plan to vinyl side before we need to paint again.

Bring on the comments!!!

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
The Duration exterior is self priming, and the specs actually recommend spot priming with.......Duration!

Thoroughly follow the recommended surface
preparations. Most coating failures are due
to inadequate surface preparation or application.
Thorough surface preparation will
help provide long term protection with DURATION
coating. On repaint work, apply one
coat of DURATION coating; on bare surfaces,
apply two coats of DURATION, allowing 4
hours drying between coats.
Do not paint in direct sun....
There are other requirements for surface prep for some different surfaces. I recommend following their specifications to the letter if you want the lifetime warranty. Here's a link to the full data sheet so you can read the rest as it's too much to post here: http://www.sherlink.com/sher-link/ImgServ?id=datapages/duration_ext_flat_102-06.pdf

EDIT: Somehow, I did not copy the part about priming with Duration.....you'll see it on the spec sheet. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shot one coat of Duration, spot priming the few bare spots there were on the siding. Looks pretty good, but expensive, I payed $45.00 per gallon being just a lonely homeowner.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
That's ok man...what you payed is well worth the results. Spot priming like that was the best thing you could do anyway. I would not have recommended putting another coat of oil over the base that has oil primer, then latex, then you add oil, then latex again...would have been hell I prommise!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts