Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Oops sorry for the confusion, That is durock underneath that tile and where you see the rapid set was a high point in my floor joists so we peeled up the durock in the section you see. Mixed up rapid set and poured it and floated it between the durock sections.
With that being said is that acceptable?

Thanks,
Really won't matter. That subfloor is too thin for tile anyway.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Unless the subfloor beneath was very stiff, the separate, narrow SLC section might have just provided an opportunity for edges to move or flex. All the SLC does is give you a flat surface. As everyone else has said, what's important is that the subfloor and structure below are stiff.

And doing it on unprimed OSB would probably just soften up the OSB.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Unless the subfloor beneath was very stiff, the separate, narrow SLC section might have just provided an opportunity for edges to move or flex. All the SLC does is give you a flat surface. As everyone else has said, what's important is that the subfloor and structure below are stiff.

And doing it on unprimed OSB would probably just soften up the OSB.
He said that the subfloor is 23/32"
Not nearly thick enough for tile.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Rusty, always with the jersey jokes, lol
Not a joke. A "Jersey Mud Job" is an understood method of installing tile in some areas of the country. Understood to be a hack method, but understood nonetheless...

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
The subfloor under the tile should be at least 1 1/8″ thick, with a minimum of 5/8″ thick exterior grade plywood topped by 1/2″ cement backer board.
5/8" just isn't enough. The backer adds no structure. 3/4" is my min. Then it's 1/4" fiber cement, Aqua Defense and tile. My sub floors are rarely over an 1" thick. And I wouldn't use exterior grade (green treat) indoors.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The subfloor under the tile should be at least 1 1/8″ thick, with a minimum of 5/8″ thick exterior grade plywood topped by 1/2″ cement backer board.
5/8" just isn't enough. The backer adds no structure. 3/4" is my min. Then it's 1/4" fiber cement, Aqua Defense and tile. My sub floors are rarely over an 1" thick. And I wouldn't use exterior grade (green treat) indoors.
Pretty sure he means plywood with exterior glue, as in BCX. Not PT ply.

I agree with the approximate 1.25" subfloor thickness. I think your OK with using 1/2" BCX on top of 3/4 T&G. No need for 5/8 IMO.

Also, 1/2" backer board has zero advantage over 1/4" when used for flooring applications.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts