Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just do drywall and mudding, I don't stick around to watch the painting and finishing work, repaints are pretty straight forward, But I am curious as to the normal process of new construction painting.

So one painter tells me he primes, finishes ceiling, and puts a coat of paint on, then leaves until all finish work is complete then comes back and does the final coat once the house is basically complete, cabinets, carpets and everything.

Another says he finish paints 2 coats, leaves and comes back once all other work is complete is just touches up any trade damage and cleans things up, caulking and stuff ect

and another says this and another says that.

What is the normal process? I just want to get a grasp as to the way everything is done from foundation to move in, but this finish stuff is where things get hazy as to my understanding of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay kinda figured that was the case.

What about the trims and base, I seen a painter had it all on benches being sprayed.
then whats next? I seen a guy had everything masked off and was spraying all the trim in place, seemed like he was going to have a 10 hour job done in 30min.
But someone else said no no shouldn't spray trim in place unless you have to, should be done by hand at that stage.

maybe this painting stuff will just have to remain a mystery

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
Im a spray in place guy. You have to caulk the trim to the wall and fill nail holes. Then repaint. Why not just mask and spray it?Takes just as much time to set up horses and rack out lumber as it does tk mask.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,662 Posts
There are all kinds of ways of doing it. There are even contractors that assemble and put final finish on casings / trim, then glue it on. High volume, I see a lot of sprayed in place with the doors hung and all the hardware except handles get coated as well (shoddy, if you ask me).

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
There are all kinds of ways of doing it. There are even contractors that assemble and put final finish on casings / trim, then glue it on. High volume, I see a lot of sprayed in place with the doors hung and all the hardware except handles get coated as well (shoddy, if you ask me).
They don't mask the hinges?

·
Registered
Remodel
31,662 Posts
They don't mask the hinges?
Nope, cheap, fast paint job on new build. Everything is white except the handles / trim rings - striker, latch, hinges, everything. They don't spray them as heavy as the door, but they get an even coat.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
I've done sprayed in place, sprayed off then touched up, sprayed off then a final brush coat for a different look. All depends on what look you're after.

The spray the hinges is just wrong on so many levels.

There really is no "normal".

Tom

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
As others have mentioned, normal to one may not be normal to another.

We try to have all in place as much as possible. For rooms that will get any flooring other than carpet, we spray the base board on horses and install after the flooring is installed. Fill nail holes, caulk and touch up with brush.

With carpeted rooms we install base before paint.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I've done sprayed in place, sprayed off then touched up, sprayed off then a final brush coat for a different look. All depends on what look you're after.

The spray the hinges is just wrong on so many levels.

There really is no "normal".

Tom
Why not paint those pretty brass ones and then swap them our during lock out?

·
Painter
969 Posts
We come in after the carpenters and tile guys are done. We shop vac all the floors and under the base, Pull doors/closet doors, sand them and then set them up accordion style in the rooms we need. We then caulk and fill all nail holes in the trim and base, and cover the tile floors with Rosin paper.

Come back the next day and sand all nail holes and vacuum everything again to get all the dust from sanding. We then spray a coat of cover stain on everthing. Come back the next day sand the primer coat, vacuum again and then spray finish coat and let that dry overnight.

Come back and touch up closets and ceiling where finish go on walls and ceilings and then start putting 2 coats of finish paint on the walls.

The only thing we spray that isn't already installed is the shoe mold that goes where the hardwood flooring goes.

Reactions: hdavis
1 - 13 of 13 Posts