Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from a new client today for a go-ahead for an exterior repaint I submitted a proposal on last week. It was a referral, sort of, I was doing his neighbors house a few weeks ago and he stopped by and liked the amount of prep work I was putting into the job.

Here’s something to think about… he had gotten two more proposals from other painters, said mine was the highest, but he felt it would be worth it, because he had the place painted 4 or 5 years ago and the guy didn’t do then what he had seen me do.

Because of new construction here in Florida there are a lot of jokers running around with an airless and cheap paint, and they do repaints the same way they do their cookie-cutter new construction jobs, cheap and quick. BUT, I’m thinking this blow’n’go/in’n’out painting has maybe reach its peak and is on the downturn of its roller coaster ride. It seems people are tired of paying the painter (so to speak) every couple of years and are looking for something other than cosmetic fixes.

Anyway, win one for the Gipper, ya know what I mean? Charge enough to do quality work, then do quality work. It will make everyone involved happy.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
absolutely,

People (especially older people who have the experience) do not usually go for the lowest bidder, and alot go with medium bids if they are getting 3 bids, but if they know the reason WHY your bid is the highest (and its not incredibly higher than the others) than they will go for it. When your in the higher bid category (and you should be if your worth it) the trick is showing WHY you are. In this case, you gave proof right there on the spot, it can be a little different when your just telling them why, but thats the trick. Unless they are first timers, they will almost never go for the lowball hack because they know you get what you pay for.
As a sales person, it is my job to determine as quickly as possible, weather or not a client is price shopping, or quality shopping, or just looking for a nice salesman, that way I can get the choices narrowed down rather quickly, but our labor is going to be higher than just about everyone here in town, cause you get what you pay for.

congrats, keep up the good work, and be glad your not in the outdoor painting business here (if there is one) Brrrrrrrrrr!.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Words of wisdom there, Florcraft.

Being a one-man band, I find sales skills are a VERY necessary part of being a painter. I’m not talking about pressure stuff, but I have discovered being able to build confidence in a prospect’s decision making is a real skill that’s often overlooked and underdeveloped by someone in my position. I appreciate your comments.

In Florida, exterior time is winter. It rained for three months this summer, and I’m playing catch up now. I’ve always been a Florida boy, I’m afraid I would freeze my a** of in Alaska. :D

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sales man skills are a necesary part of anything in life. It's always nice knowing how to get people to do what you want, weather it be sign your contractor or get you a beer.

Congrats. I have the same approach with my roofing: CHarge more but do more. I think it was volvo who said "It's not what you pay, it's what you get." I use that one often.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Grumpy said:
"It's not what you pay, it's what you get." I use that one often.

And I will be too! :) nice!

There are lots of people out there who would be great in sales, they just choose other things.
They would be great because they have a gift of gab, care about people and have empathy, patience, and they know how to read people when involved in a conversation.
product knowledge of course helps to prove professionalism, but thats not what closes the sale.

that quote reminds me of a quote I was told early in my flooring years.

"It's not what you say, It's how you say it"
This plays BIGTIME in the sales industry.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Sales is not just gab, though it helps to be the kind of person people really like... sales is more listening than talking.

I hate when I come to a sales person that is not a sales person but is working as a sales person. I feel bad when I take advantage of them :)

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Grumpy said:
I feel bad when I take advantage of them :)

:) don't. :)

It's a learning experience for them :) just think of it that way....your helping them :)

Your absolutely right in the fact that is has to do with listening (oops, forgot that)
you cant have understanding and empathy without it.
I tell you what though, 99% of my clients are women, and most of them love to gab and gab and gab, its fun, but I am a guy, so it took a heck of alotta training to listen, and get into that mode, because in essence, I just wanna sit down and watch the big game ya know?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>>>I tell you what though, 99% of my clients are women, and most of them love to gab and gab and gab, its fun, but I am a guy, so it took a heck of alotta training to listen, and get into that mode, because in essence, I just wanna sit down and watch the big game ya know?[/QUOTE]

I’ll watch the big game with ya, Florcraft. Now then, are your skills good enough to sell Grumpy on the idea of fetching us a beer? ;)
Seriously, good stuff here, sensible usable stuff. Thanks to the both of you for sharing.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Bacardi 151 (75% alcohol) mixed with juices. You can buy it pre-mixed or mix it yourself. Either way it kicks all forms of @$$.

This recipe is from the bacardi web site: (Funny, it shows it made with Light rum, but if you buy it pre-mixed it is made with 151. I make mine with 151.
BACARDI Hurricane

Ingredients:
1 oz. BACARDI Light (Carta Blanca) rum
1 oz. BACARDI Select rum
3/4 oz. Orange Juice
3/4 oz. Grenadine or Cranberry Juice
3/4 oz. Sour Mix

Directions:
Shake with ice, Serve in a Hurricane glass. Drink through a straw from the bottom first. (Starts out calm, but gets stormy toward the end.)
I like most anything made with 151. 151 is more flammable than charcoal lighter fluid! It's my drink of choice, which might not be something to brag about.

A few of my grilfriend's family calls me hurricane. There is a funny story behind that one.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Grumpy said:
I'll fetch ya all a beer whiles I am pouring myself a huricane... That TV will rot your mind..

Sounds like the t.v. is healthier than the hurricane!
:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I must agree with (florcraft)they saw your work and prep time and know THERE HOME will be done properly.
I started a home 2 days ago in a very upscale area of toledo ohio(which there are few) actually i'm doing 3,first day I had over 70% of total job done.I took a old stucco home grey with bad shutters and no trim into a beutiful home.To make a long story short a lady pulled into my customers driveway and said are you dave?
I said yes I am and she said I am the president of 36 condos (association)and as long as you are within 10% even if you are higher I will go with you.We all work to support are familys,BUT them them comments right there are what pushes us to strive to be more wanted than all he rest.
I'll post before and after pics tomorrow.This sorta sucks though,I am starting to get city work and alot of more contracts.But is money and work worth happiness?NO!not to me,my girlfriend has a 5 year old and a 11 year old and they deserve better than I had.(toledo produces kids with pant sizes 10 times to large)-To many margaritas i'm rambling- but just I know I'm good and I care and I will make buisness wherever I go but it is all on my shoulders to leave stability with only 5-10 grand and a woman and 2 kids.Sorry if I sound like I am venting or whining but no one in my family or surrounding friends can undertand the pressure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Florcraft said:
:) don't. :)

It's a learning experience for them :) just think of it that way....your helping them :)

Your absolutely right in the fact that is has to do with listening (oops, forgot that)
you cant have understanding and empathy without it.
I tell you what though, 99% of my clients are women, and most of them love to gab and gab and gab, its fun, but I am a guy, so it took a heck of alotta training to listen, and get into that mode, because in essence, I just wanna sit down and watch the big game ya know?
99% are women?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts