Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started with the drawer bottoms....(shut up Gus:laughing:) I had 7 drawers to make but only enough maple ply for 6 bottoms. Searched high and low around the shop hoping to find the last bottom to no avail. That just really put a damper on my day.

So I switched gears to get started on the skins for the reface portion of the job. Got it done, but still feeling lazy. So I finally make the move and call up the supplier and get the drawer tracks, a full sheet of maple for once stink'n drawer bottom....(shut up Gus:laughing:) And a sheet of Sapelle for the rest of the skins.

Back to the shop and cut out the bottoms, now I need to assy the drawers.....Ho hum..just don't have it in me for some reason.:shutup:

·
Registered
938 Posts
Leo doesn't drink beer!!

Hey man, have ten can's of Coke and you'll be good to go. Remember, you work 18 hours a day 7 days a week (from what you've told us). ;)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iuse to do that, but the work isn't around so I can't work those hours anymore.

Got the drawers assy, waiting for glue to dry. Guess I will rip some stock to make some 3" crown.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Screw the crown!! Go home and count the money stuffed under your mattress while the glue dries. Shouldn't take you more than a couple of hours. :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm home, the drawers are still drying. WHen I get in on Monday they should be really, really dry.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I send mine out. All I have to do is remove the small burr that is left from sharpening.

I was a lazy bum today.

sorry if I disappointed you

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Started with the drawer bottoms....(shut up Gus:laughing:) I had 7 drawers to make but only enough maple ply for 6 bottoms. Searched high and low around the shop hoping to find the last bottom to no avail. That just really put a damper on my day.

So I switched gears to get started on the skins for the reface portion of the job. Got it done, but still feeling lazy. So I finally make the move and call up the supplier and get the drawer tracks, a full sheet of maple for once stink'n drawer bottom....(shut up Gus:laughing:) And a sheet of Sapelle for the rest of the skins.

Back to the shop and cut out the bottoms, now I need to assy the drawers.....Ho hum..just don't have it in me for some reason.:shutup:
I will only comment on the lack of drive. Even though you teed the ball nice and high.:laughing:

It is not always easy to keep going when you work alone. I noticed that my personal production went up when I partnered up with Wayne. We show up at 7:30 everyday and keep going right on through the day, even when I want to bail.

I did just fine by myself as you do but things are different when someone else is there with you.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to agree with ya Gus (how I hate to think that let alone put it in writing). When I was bringing my son into work, because he was to old to be in the day camp that he had previously gone to, I was working a lot more. I wanted his to see that his Dad took work seriously. But at that time I had a lot of work, almost to much. And it needed to be done.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
We agree on more than we let on, you suborn old bird.

Did the boy take any interest at all?

My 3 never did when they were young and now they all live too far away.

I had a good time building a cigar box guitar with our oldest last year. :thumbup: I don't think I have a photo either, darn

They all got the work ethic though. It is amazing how all three follow through at work. I'm a proud papa.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
All the boy has for interests is video games and bowling. He is a very good bowler though. 17 years old and a 235 average with 3 - 300 games under his belt. He just went to Indianapolis for a big national bowl out. For his first time he did OK. out of 1008 bowlers he cam in @ 469. But no interest what so ever in wood working. The wife has the majority of control over the kids. She has to, I am always working. And she has treated them as her "babies" and that is the way they have been brought up - as babies. It is sickening and I am trying to make things different, but the wife has her claws in them and they will probably end up as a burden on society. Sad.

My youngest son seems to have some interest in WW. We'll have to see how it goes. Maybe when he gets to old for camp and has to spend a year in Dad's shop he will actually work with the wood instead of staying in the office playing video games.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You probably got some wood left over for the next job.

None of my kids are carpenters either, 2 teachers, so far. I don't know about that last boy. They say he is just like me. Maybe that is why we can't work together?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts