Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
If I bend a piece of aluminum 10' long 6'' wide into a 90 degree bend so that it is like a piece of fascia trim that is now 5'' with a 1'' lip. When I take this out of my brake and lay it on a flat surface so that the 1" lip is sitting flat on the surface and I look down along the length of the piece it has a concave arc of approximately 3/4". It still has the 1" bend along the whole length. I am saying that this brake is not bending properly as it should be straight instead of concave. I used to have a Tapco and it bent at a straight 90 degree bend with no arc. What do you suggest. ....Thanks ...Rick

·
Registered
24 Posts
i wouldn't worrry about it to much, never used, saw a brake that was perfect , especially of you have the 5in sticking up in the air , check it with the 1in in the air , and just use it where to find a happy medium , my last brake i bought if i bend pc 90 in the center of a 10 ft pc , the ends are over bend ,

the one before that if i bend 90 in center of pc the ends where underbend

portable brakes and light sheet medal is not a perfect science,

·
Registered
1 Posts
can anyone help me dont want to buy a break not too many jobs i do that i need it but some windows and doors like to make a homemade break helb

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Hi everyone,
If I bend a piece of aluminum 10' long 6'' wide into a 90 degree bend so that it is like a piece of fascia trim that is now 5'' with a 1'' lip. When I take this out of my brake and lay it on a flat surface so that the 1" lip is sitting flat on the surface and I look down along the length of the piece it has a concave arc of approximately 3/4". It still has the 1" bend along the whole length. I am saying that this brake is not bending properly as it should be straight instead of concave. I used to have a Tapco and it bent at a straight 90 degree bend with no arc. What do you suggest. ....Thanks ...Rick

1. When you put the aluminum in place and nail it off, does it ripple? If so, I would suggest tweaking the clamps on the brake to make it more accurate. If not, may be optical, nothing more.

2. When you bend a piece with a 1" lip, I'd advise you to have the larger (wider) section in the jaws.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
It could be two things. The end clamps need to be tightened. The coil is slipping on the edges as you bend. Second is on a used break the middle gets worn faster since you always use the middle and not always the edges. Kinda like a driver seat wheres quicker than a passenger. The piece you run your knife along might need to be replaced or the rubber piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts