Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Just bought a Alum-a-brake and need advice

6828 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  thesidingpro
Hi everyone,
If I bend a piece of aluminum 10' long 6'' wide into a 90 degree bend so that it is like a piece of fascia trim that is now 5'' with a 1'' lip. When I take this out of my brake and lay it on a flat surface so that the 1" lip is sitting flat on the surface and I look down along the length of the piece it has a concave arc of approximately 3/4". It still has the 1" bend along the whole length. I am saying that this brake is not bending properly as it should be straight instead of concave. I used to have a Tapco and it bent at a straight 90 degree bend with no arc. What do you suggest. ....Thanks ...Rick
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
i wouldn't worrry about it to much, never used, saw a brake that was perfect , especially of you have the 5in sticking up in the air , check it with the 1in in the air , and just use it where to find a happy medium , my last brake i bought if i bend pc 90 in the center of a 10 ft pc , the ends are over bend ,

the one before that if i bend 90 in center of pc the ends where underbend

portable brakes and light sheet medal is not a perfect science,
can anyone help me dont want to buy a break not too many jobs i do that i need it but some windows and doors like to make a homemade break helb
1. When you put the aluminum in place and nail it off, does it ripple? If so, I would suggest tweaking the clamps on the brake to make it more accurate. If not, may be optical, nothing more.

2. When you bend a piece with a 1" lip, I'd advise you to have the larger (wider) section in the jaws.
Hi everyone,
If I bend a piece of aluminum 10' long 6'' wide into a 90 degree bend so that it is like a piece of fascia trim that is now 5'' with a 1'' lip. When I take this out of my brake and lay it on a flat surface so that the 1" lip is sitting flat on the surface and I look down along the length of the piece it has a concave arc of approximately 3/4". It still has the 1" bend along the whole length. I am saying that this brake is not bending properly as it should be straight instead of concave. I used to have a Tapco and it bent at a straight 90 degree bend with no arc. What do you suggest. ....Thanks ...Rick
Buy one, and find more jobs.

Also, spelling, punctuation and grammar are nothing to fear.
can anyone help me dont want to buy a break not too many jobs i do that i need it but some windows and doors like to make a homemade break helb
Ask your Neighbor,he should have a brake:

Looks friendly enough!

Attachments

It could be two things. The end clamps need to be tightened. The coil is slipping on the edges as you bend. Second is on a used break the middle gets worn faster since you always use the middle and not always the edges. Kinda like a driver seat wheres quicker than a passenger. The piece you run your knife along might need to be replaced or the rubber piece.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.