Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
On your about us page, you have an HTML link named school, which just points back to the same page, on your links page you need to make them actual links, they are just text, and I would change the name of the page to something like Our Suppliers or something other then links.

I would say lose the hotmail address and pay for email hosted at your domain name, it looks more professional.

Your all news link in your sidebar just points back to your link page again.

Your banner has your numbers listed as home and cell, this leads one to believe you are a small home based business, perhaps use office and alternative for the identifiers?

You have a more link on your home page that is pointing to a nonfunctional javascript.

I would also change/add alt codes to your pictures.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I would also take down the info about your family, I don't know if you want everyone knowing your kids names and where they go to school, along with phone numbers for contact and locations, I know I wouldn't, but that is just me. I have seen far to many creepy people online in my time working computer security

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lose the family info, not very professional looking. And the ages of the kids will be out of date each and every year. No client needs to know where the kids go to school or went to school. I might not go into so much detail as to how you transitioned into post framing. It is ok to have people perceive that you have always been a post framer. Showing the scale and scope of the projects is good. Detailing the materials you provide would help. Say we provide all site/grade work and foundations. Turn key completion. If you provide years of experience in something be sure that you annually update that info as this changes each and every year. Keep things out that can be forgot or outdated. Some times is less is more. A picture is worth a thousand words.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
the sites kinda lame.
ditto on the family info
who cares

you also should post more detailed picts of your jobs, with actual people working them.
i can tell a lot from in progress jobs, your employees, safety, ethics, etc...

i would also lose the family info, who cares

the colours suck too.
urine and feces are associated with yellow and brown.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
You would do well to not use the web host company's web template. It wont be what you want.

If they have Cpanel install wordpress on your domain and fiddle with the "responsive" or 2012 theme for a while.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Any of the SEO or other technical issues aside, spending your time moving forward with your current website template is going to cost you both time (yours wasted) and money (lack of work generated from it).

If you are serious about competing locally, online then ask your webhost if they provide either Fantastico or Softaculous and you can have Wordpress installed with a couple clicks. Spend your time in the Wordpress learning curve if you want DIY.

This way when your done playing with it you'll have something pros can easily work with and takeover when you're ready to go that route.

Providing you with any tips, pointers or how-to's to implement into your current website platform only creates more work for somebody later and really isn't going to deliver results. You need to fix the foundation first.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
Any of the SEO or other technical issues aside, spending your time moving forward with your current website template is going to cost you both time (yours wasted) and money (lack of work generated from it).

If you are serious about competing locally, online then ask your webhost if they provide either Fantastico or Softaculous and you can have Wordpress installed with a couple clicks. Spend your time in the Wordpress learning curve if you want DIY.

This way when your done playing with it you'll have something pros can easily work with and takeover when you're ready to go that route.

Providing you with any tips, pointers or how-to's to implement into your current website platform only creates more work for somebody later and really isn't going to deliver results. You need to fix the foundation first.
What he said! :clap:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I ditto all the advise on going word press, it handles all the link building page layouts and such, you really just have to provide the content, and you can switch themes without having to recode everything.

For your emails use the mailto: so that someone can click on it and it will launch a mail program for them to write an email, personally I will not spend the time to copy and paste an email link.

In your about our buildings section I would try and take some time and explain things in more detail, I have no idea what you are talking about, this will turn off most customers.

Your making steps in the right direction, look at wordpress, I think you will be surprised by the whack of stuff that is available right out of the box (so to speak lol)

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,641 Posts
No offense but your site is something like 6 pages and I could barely make it through... I felt like I was sucked into an "I can read book" when I got to your, About our Buildings page...

Do you do residential, commercial...? What towns do you work in?

Having a page dedicated to your supplier with info, links etc... is like winning 10k in the lottery and then burning it.:whistling It's one thing if you talk about a supplier in a blog but having dedicated info to them is directly taking a potential client and money off your page.

You need some worthy content and an exciting blog.

·
Registered
Custom
13,207 Posts
At first glance, I thought it was... BEERconstruction.com

Thought it was going to be an interesting read... :laughing:

Anyway, not much to the site from a customer perspective... looks like a templated site.... almost like one of the ones that pop-up when you misspell a URL...

It's got the basics, but that's about it... no call to action, nothing really to get them to click into the site more...

·
We Put Poles In Holes
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will look into wordpress and all of the other content suggestions this weekend.

As far as changing company name, that will not happen. I do realize that there is another company with very similar name but I've built my company and name up these last few years that the local communites recognize me as a reputable business.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts