Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am doing market research for a new business venture. I was a carpenter for fifteen years before one fall too many left me a little too busted up to swing a hammer anymore.

So I have just a few questions:
What trade are you in? IE: Roofer, carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc
Where are you located, city and or state?
How much do you spend annually on tools like tape measures and hammer handles, new saw blades, chisels, etc? If an annual estimate is too hard to come up with, a monthly or weekly best guess will do.
Is there any interest in a mobile tool supplier, like Snap-on does for the mechanics industry? Someone that would come around regularly to offer replacement tools on a weekly basis?
Any and all replies are very much appreciated!

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I LOVE IT BOB! Waiting on on-line orders can be a pain . Drywall seems to be a specialty trade most places..The supplies here cater to the DIY.. Most of my tools are on-line orders ,But if you were to stop by once every week or two with the tools I WANT! That would be cool!

·
Vendor
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I LOVE IT BOB! Waiting on on-line orders can be a pain . Drywall seems to be a specialty trade most places..The supplies here cater to the DIY.. Most of my tools are on-line orders ,But if you were to stop by once every week or two with the tools I WANT! That would be cool!
I am thinking of just basic hand tools (tape measures, hammer handles, chalk and chalk boxes, etc), bags, cords and ends, and hoses and ends. Also considering new and used power tools, trade-ins, etc.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm a remodeler... I'd love that! Blades would be a huge help. I usually burn a utility blade daily and a 7 1/4 every few hours during demo days. Too often we've pushed a blade too far because I didn't buy enough or thought I had more on the trailer.

One thing if recommend is don't allow anyone to charge to an account. My uncle ran a snap on truck in the eighties and guys would never pay on time... Killed his business

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a carpenter in northern Minnesota

Up here, we have that through our local supplier, Acme Tool Crib. You can sign up to be on a " keep full" program with them. So, how it works is, every trailer is stocked with defined quantities of consumables, fasteners, etc.
Once a week, Kyle from Acme shows up in his sprinter van, and fills me up. If he sees that I only have 4 12" saws all blades, and my keep full is 12, he gives me 8 blades.
Also, in his van, he keeps a bunch of new tools in his van, and ALWAYS calls before he shows up to see if me or my guys want to see/ demo/ buy anything.
The shop gets a monthly bill per trailer, and it is the job site coordinator ( me) job to assign which job they get billed out to.

It's a great system. I highly recommend doing something like this. It has been a god send for us. Acme Tools is 1st rate!

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I like the idea, but honestly, if I'm on a job, I usually don't have time to stop for any length of time. Heck, I've called the wife to have her grab me something at a store and run it to me on her lunch break...she loves that!:whistling

But if I'm working on a customers place, I don't stop for anything really. Heck, I've held my pee all day because I didn't have time to stop and pee. BTW, if you are that busy, you haven't had time to drink anything and by late afternoon you don't have to pee anymore, lol.

I like the idea but my "me" time used to be going to the gym, now it's going to my supplier to "look" at tools.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I prefer being a carpenter but I'm really a remodeler. Maybe you could expand the service a little to take away broken tools, either for repair or for a discount on a new tool. I'd pay a premium on tool repair if I didn't have to do the legwork, either by doing the repair or bringing it to a shop. I'd also be interested in used tools.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I could stop for a few minutes. I would have to charge. I rarely keep my checkbook with me. Tool repair would be good. Air tools go down fairly often. It would save me from taking them somewhere or having to take time to fix them on my own. I also regularly need cords replaced. They start to get pretty bad because I don't take the time to put a new one in.
I would rather pay someone to replace some cords than have OSHA show up and charge $400 per cord.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Wow what a under served market in many places around the states. Most of the fastener suppliers around here that delivered would also repair tools onsite on most major brands.

Currently I think most have went out of business.

·
Registered
541 Posts
There is a retired guy in my area who does a little gofer business for contractors. I don't think he really stocks anything. What he does is run around in his Mazda pickup and guys will give him a list and he will go get maybe some fasteners, and a couple cans of spray paint, and lunch, and five gallons of gas, or whatever else it is that you need. There are plenty of places nearby to buy everything; he just saves you the hassle and expense of spending your time running around to get all those odds and ends in the middle of the workday.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
back in the days we were framing, there was a guy that would come around selling and repairing hammers on site. I guess nail guns drove him out of business...

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I think that would be a great idea! Run something that is a mix between a Hilti rep and a Snap On truck. Keep a good assortment of consumables on the truck and have a few basic power tools.

Sounds like a winner to me. I'd buy from you.

·
GC/carpenter
43,934 Posts
I'm a big picture thinker. Give the business a real catchy name and sell franchises. You sell the routes and tools to the franchisees

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hillhurst hardware in Calgary does something like that. I don't work in Calgary but if you look them up on line they have a video talking about it. Great store, my favourite part tape measures not in the stupid package but just in a big bin. Prices are written on the tools with a sharpie, no fooling around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts