Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did some under cabinet lights earlier this year, what do ya think?

Out with the old, :sick:

In with the new, :cheesygri

I know its just a little job, and I didn't take many pics, just sharing.
I think I did a total of six lights R & R, if I recall.

HO was very happy. :thumbsup:

·
Carpe Diem
20,533 Posts
When doing kitchen remodels, I used Kichler xenons. They have been the best under cab light system I have used. I have tried to sell their LED under cabs but they were pricey. However, definitely some of the nicest light I have ever seen. No heat and great lighting!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts
Who uses 20a receps? :blink:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts
I was under the impression kitchen counter outlets had to be 2 separate 20A circuits... So why not go with the 20A receps? Same for the dedicated bathroom outlet.... Those hair dryers are getting bigger and bigger....

The circuits must be 20a. The receps usually don't need to be.

Show me one appliance in your house that requires a 20a receptacle.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When doing kitchen remodels, I used Kichler xenons. They have been the best under cab light system I have used. I have tried to sell their LED under cabs but they were pricey. However, definitely some of the nicest light I have ever seen. No heat and great lighting!
Thanks Angus, I will keep them in mind.

These where actually kind of a PITA, they were corded fixtures, and I converted them to hard wire.

I had to add grounding pigtails, add plastic plugs to fill original cord holes, unibit out the back side for entry, then add plastic gromments for protection.

All while standing on my head. ;)

I really didn't want to do all that, but I also didn't want to disappoint my HO.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. I prefer not to waste my customer's money.

Just so you do know, in this case.
The HO was wasting his own money, cause the guy that lived there prior to this HO, did all his own work.

This house has little instruction notes placed all over. :laughing:

Its very repair friendly. :shutup:

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also scraped out the crumbling grout around the countertop, and ran a new flexible bead. :clap:

:shifty:

·
How can I help you?
158 Posts
It's code here, 20amp is required in all kitchen remodels.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i like to use 20a receptacles so people know it's a 20a circuit. it signals to the user that they can use their toaster oven and commercial mixer at the same time. or, if in a garage, that they can run a jigsaw and circ saw on the same outlet. it's not necessary, but i wouldn't call it a waste either.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
i like to use 20a receptacles so people know it's a 20a circuit. it signals to the user that they can use their toaster oven and commercial mixer at the same time. or, if in a garage, that they can run a jigsaw and circ saw on the same outlet. it's not necessary, but i wouldn't call it a waste either.

Really?

I find that almost 100% of homeowners I meet have no clue what the difference between a 20a and 15a outlet looks like unless I tell them.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,524 Posts
Really?

I find that almost 100% of homeowners I meet have no clue what the difference between a 20a and 15a outlet looks like unless I tell them.
I find that almost 100% of homeowners I meet have nothing in their houses that require a 20a receptacle to begin with.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Really?

agreed, which is why i tell them. that way they know what a great job i'm doing. :thumbup:
seriously, though, i try to do for others what i would do for myself and then i inform them of the reasoning behind what i'm doing. they tend to appreciate it. i also specialize in little jobs so those little extras, i think, keep them happy and keep me busy. for the contractor doing 10 new houses every two weeks it probably makes more sense to save the money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts