Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a project with an existing deck which I'm adding a lower level. The existing deck has a triple 2x10 built up beam and I'd like to use joist hangers to connect the new joists 13" below the original level.

Does anyone know of a special joist hanger, which is galvanized for use with PT lumber in which I can drop the joist below the normal height. I've found a few that might work, but they are for interior use, and are rather pricey.

I'm using 2x10 joists with a 2x10 beam, so the joist is about 3 3/8" below the beam.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If Simpson doesn't make 'em, they could be fabricated. Your engineer would've spec'd a hanger that you could have a metal shop make, powdercoater could finish and you could install.

If you're hangin' a lower level off an existing beam, you'll need to make sure the beam can handle the additional weight. It might be better to add a new post and beam line to support that edge of the new, lower deck.

Mac

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you're hangin' a lower level off an existing beam, you'll need to make sure the beam can handle the additional weight. It might be better to add a new post and beam line to support that edge of the new, lower deck.

Mac
What he said. Add beam, because your triple probably won't be enough.

Then, don't plan on the galvanizing being enough. I've been back to a couple decks where everything was HDG, and the hangers are already rusting in a mere 5 years. I'd add some peel & stick between the PT & any hanger you use, whether galvanized or powder coated... unless you want to go with SS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What he said. Add beam, because your triple probably won't be enough.

Then, don't plan on the galvanizing being enough. I've been back to a couple decks where everything was HDG, and the hangers are already rusting in a mere 5 years. I'd add some peel & stick between the PT & any hanger you use, whether galvanized or powder coated... unless you want to go with SS.

Well I ended up adding a double 2x10 beam, and using some standard hangers off the shelf. It worked out fine.

One question...do you typically use peel and stick flashing between all hangers and PT wood? Is this a common practice?

Thanks,

Brett

1 - 5 of 5 Posts