Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I was rightly chastised for not using the right tools for the job. I would use it rarely but a jointer would make life easier about 6-8 times a year. I like older solid steel stationary machinery and have no brand loyalty. I wouldn't mind bringing a tool up to snuff but don't have time for Brian or Darcy's complete resto's.

Any recommendations for any older jointers for around a grand that could handle ipe?

·
Artist and not a curator
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you putting this in a shop or looking for something portable..:blink:
Smaller shop, 30X40, single phase.

I looked at a 20 some year old powermatic but it sold before I pulled the trigger and now can't find another one.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Oh,
I could find you nice American made jointer,...

Problem is distance.......:whistling

Be patient ,.....something will become available. I will keep my eye out for you if something comes along in your area.....

:thumbsup:

·
Artist and not a curator
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,594 Posts
A jointer that you will use 10 times a year. What's that? If you have one in a shop it will be used nearly everytime you touch a new pc of wood.

I have a Delta DJ-20 and it works good. If you are just doing edges for gluing and straightening then you'll only need a 6". I'd really like to go up to a 12"

·
Artist and not a curator
14,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
About 99% edge work. Maybe some posts here and there when I do tiki huts but would be rare. Its not that I "need" it, more that it would be good to have and I just got some more room.

6" should be fine but would I find uses for an 8" or maybe even a 12"? Honest question. I always thought the really big 16" were silly big, but then I met a guy who says he could never downsize now. What does one run through a 16" jointer?

edit: and here I was thinking 16" was big

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,594 Posts
Glued up panels can be run on a large face jointer.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,594 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts