Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All new jambs, doors, casing and base. Casing, 1x4 sides and 1x6 header with 1x4 for the baseboard.

I've just done the Master bath so far. 2 doors. I ran the 1x6 header across/over the 1x4 sides. Back glued, shimmed and nailed. Ready patch, sanded and painted. Looks great.

No end grain issues as this is MDF crisp square edges. Let' not have a debate please.

Now my question is............My buddy says I should run the 1x4 sides up to the top of the 1x6 header in the center. Is there a right or a wrong way? Was going to pre-check the rest of openings after jamb install with scrap pcs. at all intersections to see which way might be better.

Waiting on the last five doors from lumberyard so I have some time to dwell on this. Hopefully they come in Monday

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, this is all three-quarter inch stock. 5/4 would have been nice for the header, it would've made things easier.
The end of the header is flush with the leg on the outside She is going for the basic plain look Everything is getting painted white, PPG ceramic matte on the walls and semi gloss on the millwork.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,699 Posts
Sorry, this is all three-quarter inch stock. 5/4 would have been nice for the header, it would've made things easier.
The end of the header is flush with the leg on the outside She is going for the basic plain look Everything is getting painted white, PPG ceramic matte on the walls and semi gloss on the millwork.
In the future, if you can sell it, add a 1"x1/2" strip below your header. It'll make your install life so much easier & give an added element.

As for your original question, the header goes across the legs, not between.:whistling

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not too late. She is out of town right now and I did want to get her approval on the bathroom that I did already. She showed me a picture of what she wanted and that is what I did. Love pictures. :)

She has seen the bathroom for at least a week already before she left and did not say she did not like it, so I assume she likes the look.

·
THe IRon Piñata
171 Posts
It's not too late. She is out of town right now and I did want to get her approval on the bathroom that I did already. She showed me a picture of what she wanted and that is what I did. Love pictures. :)

She has seen the bathroom for at least a week already before she left and did not say she did not like it, so I assume she likes the look.
The legs run up an kill into the header piece...I have also seen the top with trim a piece of trim then the 1x6 then pieces of moulding. But in this business no news....means good news... So wait an see what she has to say before ripping down....

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
add a 1"x1/2" strip below your header
That's how I trimmed my house, with bed mould and a 2 1/4 x 3/8 cap on top of the header. And the strip below the header is rounded over. Also did plinths. I love the look, as I think it adds a really nice detail, but it's time-consuming.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Legs under head, I like to ease the edge for an emphasized joint there. Usually don't do flush sides unless doing a mitered backband. Hanging past the sides looks nice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Header over legs. we typically run a 5/4 header. the material is available at the local yards or I have also ripped all of my headers out of a sheet of 1" MDF. we have also installed the 1" x 1/2 " between the legs and the header giving it a top hat look, and did the same detail at the sills of the windows with the 1 x 1/2 above the apron. it is a nice look.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The header being over the sides was originally done as a matter of function. On exteriors, it's easier to keep the water out of the joints, & away from whatever is below, as in a window, or door.
Once this was established as the norm, anything else just looks wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts