Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a handed down Makita table saw that has seen its last job. I need to get a new one. I like it to be portable as I use them mostly for finish trim and siding work and keep it in my smaller trailer. I would like it to have some sort of stand or legs or I can just put it on saw horses or something. What is the best one for the type of work that I do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bosch Table Saw 4100 series!!! :notworthy:

Yes, it's expensive compared to others, ($600)

Has 1/32 measurements, have wheels, i'm guessing it weighs around 80-100 pounds assembled. With two guys lifting it into a trailer it's nothing, I even ran over rocks rolling it around. :laughing:

I bought mine at Lowes.

Do you need more information?

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts

Yes, it's expensive compared to others, ($600)

Has 1/32 measurements, have wheels, i'm guessing it weighs around 80-100 pounds assembled. With two guys lifting it into a trailer it's nothing, I even ran over rocks rolling it around. :laughing:

I bought mine at Lowes.

Do you need more information?
The stand wieghs 80 pounds.

I like that saw alot, but, I think it is getting ready to find a new home so I can add one more componet to my TS-55 and not drag around a table saw anymore.

I will highly recomend the Bosch. I will highly recomend looking at a TS-55 and their parallel guide set as well.

·
Carpe Diem
20,713 Posts
The stand wieghs 80 pounds.

I like that saw alot, but, I think it is getting ready to find a new home so I can add one more componet to my TS-55 and not drag around a table saw anymore.

I will highly recomend the Bosch. I will highly recomend looking at a TS-55 and their parallel guide set as well.
ok, you've beat me into submission to drink the kool aid! :notworthy

I gotta ask, with the TS-55 set up, can you do something like rip down a 3"W filler? I rarely use my table saw for anything large, mainly small pieces you couldn't clamp any kind of guide to.

Am I about to spend a crap-load of money? :sweatdrop:

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts

I gotta ask, with the TS-55 set up, can you do something like rip down a 3"W filler? I rarely use my table saw for anything large, mainly small pieces you couldn't clamp any kind of guide to.

It has taken me a year to think the opposite way of a table saw, instead of moving material though, you move the saw.

It can be done, it requires another board under the rail for support, thier parallel guides, and they make a small rip fence thingy that fits in the saw base. PM if you have questions. I wont get too far off topic.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My ex co-worker has one and its a sweet piece, the stand it pretty slick.

I still hated dragging it out due to the weight.

I like the little Dewalt because its nice and light.

I will highly recomend looking at a TS-55 and their parallel guide set as well.
I keep kicking that idea around too because I REALLY want to get my table saw out of my truck (since I use is onece every few weeks) to free up space.

I priced out the 55 with the long rails and accessories....that number gets REAL big REAL fast. I guess I would still need a good way of transporting the rails with the saw...

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
...if you have a truck, the saw is really easy to load into the truck.... I roll the saw up up to my tail gate, set the black "handel" bar part of the stand on the gate, then move around the wheeled side and lift the saw up and push it in the truck. Easy Peezy

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
Inner, I am a rail joiner for the most part and have no issuses with it. I have 1, 1080mm, 1400mm/x2, 3000mm.

Rarley does the 3000mm come out, I use it for big decks joined to the other rails. That gives me about 20' of rails.

Once you get the Vac purchase out of the way, individual tools don't seem so bad (except for the kapex).

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
...if you have a truck, the saw is really easy to load into the truck.... I roll the saw up up to my tail gate, set the black "handel" bar part of the stand on the gate, then move around the wheeled side and lift the saw up and push it in the truck. Easy Peezy

The Bosch is great for moving in and out of a trailer and not bad in the back of a truck. It is worthless on stairs, they made the wheels too small.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
...if you have a truck, the saw is really easy to load into the truck...
I use to load and unload it from the cube van w/o a ramp and it wasn't too bad....being 5'7" and over 200 pounds on a good day didn't help any.

It was carrying it around objects and moving it about in the van that gets a little old.

Once you get the Vac purchase out of the way, individual tools don't seem so bad
I will soon be ordering another grand worth of systainers, next is a Mini Vac. The issue with the tools is I do so very little wood work its not that practical for me to get one.

Sorry Jake, I'l try to stay on topic...Actually just buy the TS55, even if you hate the saw the container-system that it comes in is beyond incredible.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
I use to load and unload it from the cube van w/o a ramp and it wasn't too bad....being 5'7" and over 200 pounds on a good day didn't help any.

It was carrying it around objects and moving it about in the van that gets a little old.

I will soon be ordering another grand worth of systainers, next is a Mini Vac. The issue with the tools is I do so very little wood work its not that practical for me to get one.

Sorry Jake, I'l try to stay on topic...Actually just buy the TS55, even if you hate the saw the container-system that it comes in is beyond incredible.

Do you cut any aluminum, acrylic's, or thin gauge steel?
They are made for more that just cutting wood, with the right blade and speed setting.

I am glad you are happy with the systainers!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Do you cut any aluminum, acrylic's, or thin gauge steel?
Easy cowboy, I'm an easy man to sell to and the credit card is still smoking from the plastic boxes. :laughing:

I am glad you are happy with the systainers!
Your and Craig's comission cheques are in the mail...

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have the rigid TS and it does a good job (I use a 24T Diablo blade). However, I wish I'd have spent the extra $200 on the bosch just for the guard system.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Angus

I think you would spend a whole lot more once you become Infected:w00t: but that is a good, thing for your productivity and your cleanup. The TS 55 and rails will do anything that a table saw will, however repeated small rips (example: riping 1/8" off a 5/8" strip) are challenging. There are techniques to make small rips and changing the way you work will eliminate the need for many of these types of cuts.

There have been a few times where I pinned (23 ga) a small piece I needed to rip down to a larger and ran the saw through (i keep a blade just for such times in my box)
It didnt chip the carbide and it was safe.

I keep a 2700 , 1400, and an 800 in the trailer.

Before i went Green i had a Makita and a full Rousseau (table, outfeed, side extension, and infeed) I do some times miss it. but not often

Craig

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
...had me the camera today...and the table saw...

I usally carry it laying down like shown, but if I need to get ALOT in there, I can stand it up as well....

This was before I took out the crossover box...
I have since stripped and painted the rack as well, as you may beable to tell from the photos.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I bought the new Ridgid gravity rise a couple of months ago, it is slick, much nicer than the older Ridgid set up.

So far I've only used it on cedar siding (BIG job :rolleyes:), loading and unloading from a box truck daily and it is heavy but once the wheels hit the ground it's a piece of cake to maneuver on the job site. Can't beat the price, cuts nice, too. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts