Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
improving homes
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few times now where a router table would have been nice on the jobsite. Thinking about picking up a smaller router table that I can bring to the jobsite for those times. Is there a decent small router table out there? Doesn't look like there are too many options out there. I can get this bosch locally and it looks pretty decent, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1171-...8&qid=1433812775&sr=1-3&keywords=router+table. Anyone have this table? I have this router combo for jobsites if it makes a difference. Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
Floor Wood Plywood Room Architecture

I use one of the Bosch tables built in in my trailer with a dewalt 2 1/4 hp in it. Very handy for many job site needs.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
http://rousseauco.com/router-tables/folding-router-table-model-3101/ this is not the model i have . mine is bigger yet also the legs fold under it . I have two router tables that fold up ,though they live in my shop for the most part .the picture shows both .tables are easy to make .fenses though are equally or more important .
my bench top rarely has free space for bench top type tools .
you could also just use a piece of plywood or such .mount your router under it .clamp it to your bench or sling between two horses when you need it .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I would just build one with a laminate top if I had the room in the trailer.Something that would fold up and store easily would be ideal but I have never seen one.A router table with a longer table is always a plus which makes the manufactured ones less useful.Kind of like the thread on jobsite jointers.
If on the jobsite I prefer to clamp a wider piece of stock to a sheet on horses and after routing ,rip it to the width needed.Not the best solution but works well unless you need to do a large amount of profiling.Then I try to do it in the shop.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
I own the Bosch.

Decent little table..... for the money.

Only used it a few times before I upgraded to a better portable, but I recall if doing the job just fine.

Easy set up....reduced noise from router....featherboards etc.

(Never did any atom-splitting with it.....just some profiling, etc.)

·
Registered
13,411 Posts
I've had a few times now where a router table would have been nice on the jobsite. Thinking about picking up a smaller router table that I can bring to the jobsite for those times. Is there a decent small router table out there? Doesn't look like there are too many options out there. I can get this bosch locally and it looks pretty decent, http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1171-...8&qid=1433812775&sr=1-3&keywords=router+table. Anyone have this table? I have this router combo for jobsites if it makes a difference. Thanks
I have the first generation of that Bosch table. If you want to come pick it up you can have it. There is a router in it.

I'm in northwest Indiana (46303), about 30 miles east of Chicago.

Tom

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
generally you need feather boards of some sort to keep steady constant pressure . with the feather boards holding it tight out feeds can be designed pretty easily allowing for the length of your table .
i find that my fold down units quikly become work surfaces when i not running material through them so there extra size is handy . i have [and had] places to mount routers in tablesaw and miter saw stands but i found this to be half about useless . i need my tablesaw and router freed up ,they are to important to have a router messing up the work area .once you set up your router ,this takes time ,you do not want to mess the set-up till you know your done . Setting hieght,depth and featherboards/pressure points takes time .It is important to have a dedicated table so it can stay in place till you are certain your need for it is gone .

·
Registered
7 Posts
My current router table is a birch plywood wing on my table saw. It works well for me: I can use the table saw fence for straight-line routes (truss rod slots), and the weight of the saw makes for a very stable base.

I have a large sheet of phenolic-faced MDF that was a treadmill desk in a former life. I've been meaning to upgrade my plywood rig with the phenolic-faced MDF. The phenolic sheet has some obvious advantages: it's thicker than my current setup, and the phenolic would hold up well over time.

However, one potential disadvantage popped up in another woodworking forum: could the phenolic be so slippery that it could actually be dangerous as a router-table surface?

Has anyone had any experience with that material as a router-table surface? Thoughts? Impressions?
ryobi router table review
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
if ,as in if it was to slippery scratch it up .the to slippery doesn't strike any issue i have ever noticed .though to rough a surfacecan force you to push to hard

·
Registered
15,314 Posts
I made myself one in the early spring out of birch plywood. Love it. Opens up options I didn't have before with a stable flat surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts