Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the DeWalt mitre stand and I can't take it any more. They suck for support. Nice to carry, off the floor.....that's the only good things I can say.

I've seen a few guys with customade out of wood that are nice

I've seen acouple decent extruded aluminum types also but not sure where they find items like that.

Some of you guys must have some nice setups. Direction would be much appreciated.

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
I'd like to here everyone's suggestions too. I also have had the Dewalt for a few years and I'm getting sick of it. The feet always fall off, the thumb screws always need to be tightened, and some have even broke. I've replaced some of the parts, but I'd like to find something else. One guy I noticed had a Ridgid with the wheels attached making it easy to transport, but not sure about the rest.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i got rid of the dewalt setup about 2 yrs ago and have been very happy with the trac rac setup! the work supports are much stronger, and all in all a much nicer setup IMO:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
This might help: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/video/miter-saw-stands-tool-review.aspx

I had the Ridgid stand, old style, with a Bosch 12" slider on it. It was a nice stand but, the combination of the heavy saw and stand started to wear on me.

I have a friend that has his Kapex on Bosch's new gravity rise miter saw stand, it is very nice but, takes up a bunch of room.

I now run this set-up:

Saw is light, 47lbs., I can fold the legs up on both tables, stack them on each other and bolt the saw down to the top one in about 6 minutes.

This is my 3rd set-up and it took me a while to graduate to this, it was not cheap but, worth every penny.

You won't find a new saw helper anymore, they are nice but a bit of work to set up.

Check out the video, it shows all most all that are out now.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This might help: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/video/miter-saw-stands-tool-review.aspx

You won't find a new saw helper anymore, they are nice but a bit of work to set up.

Check out the video, it shows all most all that are out now.
Very cool, thank you for the link. This guy showed up last week, a friend of one of the guys already there. He shows up with a Sprinter loaded with Festool. His mitre stand.....the saw helper. He has the toys, the domino, the kapex, the rail saw......man I'm jealous. I think I'm creeping him out I keep coming by and fondling his kapex :laughing:

I like the trojan. Small, compact, portable....just bring a 20' along with you.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
Very cool, thank you for the link. This guy showed up last week, a friend of one of the guys already there. He shows up with a Sprinter loaded with Festool. His mitre stand.....the saw helper. He has the toys, the domino, the kapex, the rail saw......man I'm jealous. I think I'm creeping him out I keep coming by and fondling his kapex :laughing:
Don't mention it Kent......er....Framerman!!:shifty::laughing:

I keep thinking a Sprinter may be in my future.
Their stuff is expensive but, well worth it.

I am sure he does not mind at all, I bet with a little effort he would let you test drive his saw!!

I believe saw helper is out of buisness, no one has heard from them forever. Festool has a saw helper type set of wing extensions, just 700 more dollars:whistling

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Saw Helper was still in business last year at these numbers: Phone: 763-231-3355
Toll-Free: 800-441-1388

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
i think the trojan is good for a framer/deck builder using a mitersaw outside in the world of new construction or great outdoors!

its one of those things you can run over with a back hoe or leave out for a winter and come back in the spring with alittle wd40 and you pick up where you left off:laughing:

i know there horses are awsome!!

warner, did you work out the laser kinks whith the festool.?
or did you swap it out for a new saw?

sprinters are awsome work trucks, 20+ miles per gallon loaded with goodies

glad i bought mine 5yrs ago they went up by 10k! there 45k now for a 3500

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
i think the trojan is good for a framer/deck builder using a mitersaw outside in the world of new construction or great outdoors!

its one of those things you can run over with a back hoe or leave out for a winter and come back in the spring with alittle wd40 and you pick up where you left off:laughing:

i know there horses are awsome!!

warner, did you work out the laser kinks whith the festool.?
or did you swap it out for a new saw?

sprinters are awsome work trucks, 20+ miles per gallon loaded with goodies

glad i bought mine 5yrs ago they went up by 10k! there 45k now for a 3500

Agree about the trojan, looks great for tough work.

The lasers, I could not keep the right in place when I traveled with the saw, it always wanted to toe-in. I mentioned something to Rick, the technical director from Festool, got in contact with Lester, service guy, and had a new saw in just under 2 days. Dropped off to me and the other one taken away. Festool's customer service is fantastic!!

I could never buy a new vehicle.

·
remodeler
40 Posts
I used to have a different trojin stand that folded down and had wheels on it. It was nice beause it had an optional section that you could slide into the wing area that had legs and a roller. This made it so it was pretty stable for heavier lumber. The down side was that it was a little bulky.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
As a trim guy you need solid support and a full length fence,roller are for the birds --build your self a site built table.

Add a few spring clamps to your kit-handy as can be for holding stops to the fence,or for clamping your speed square to a miter so you can take a measurement.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Warner, buying the sprinter new was the best buisness move i made!:whistling

my work doubled, the attention is awsome(always a compliment),the frieghtliner service is top notch (just like the festool) it is a mercedes after all! and at the $5 a gallon days it cost me $250 a month in gas and i was running 100 miles per day easy round trip!

im still waiting on your full report about the kapex in your old thread! :laughing:

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use vanguard 30"x36" scaffold ends and a b72 brace.2 2x12x8' planks on top and 2 2x12x8' planks on the bottom. On top I set my scms which table sets at 3.5 inches above the planks 2 4x4x12" support the boards to be cut this leaves plenty of space for squares chisels and the like to be right at hand without being in the way.On the lower planks is my drill/driver kit jig saw misc. fasteners, glue,clamps and what ever else the job calls for. Very easy to stay organized. To cut notches I use the clamp on the miter saw to hold the work piece and cut next to the 4x4 which I can move around to accommodate and have clearance for the blade. On exterior jobs I will add another brace with a 3rd end and use 16' planks at the end of the day throw a tarp over the hole set-up

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I can't imagine a better set up that the saw helper.

I framed, sided and trimmed with it for years. Then it was the only saw stop I had for cabinets for years. Now it only comes out for installs.

As far as I know, no other stand has a direct bolt to the saw connection and a flip stop. This thing is dead on accurate every time you set it up. The telescopic legs make it a breeze in uneven terrain.

It is one of those tools that I would rather not ever be without.

I guess the only down side is it breaks down into three parts plus the saw. It is a lot to pack around. But it does flat stack well.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts