Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I awalys forget there are a bunch of radio haters on here.
Radios are un professional, a distraction and cause problems on the jobsite, so I don't allow them, if you want to listen to the radio do it at home, or on someone elses jobsite.

How would you guys like it if I as the GC picked the radio station and didn't let anyone listen to any other station but the one I listen to?

I am sure you will say it is your radio, but it is my jobsite and you play by my rules or you don't come on my jobsite.

·
I like Green things
22,990 Posts
Radios are un professional, a distraction and cause problems on the jobsite, so I don't allow them, if you want to listen to the radio do it at home, or on someone elses jobsite.

How would you guys like it if I as the GC picked the radio station and didn't let anyone listen to any other station but the one I listen to?

I am sure you will say it is your radio, but it is my jobsite and you play by my rules or you don't come on my jobsite.
As long as there is something to listen to...

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts

That was the beauty of framing beachfront in the winter. from October to June the island was empty exept for a few other builders and maybe a patrol car twice a week. The GC only spent about 10 minutes a day at the job. Radio.... on.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Plus some songs get me super motivated and i get in more of a work faster mood lol.
Jobsite moral is key to productivity, and I agree that music can certainly have a positive effect. :thumbsup:

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Jobsite moral is key to productivity, and I agree that music can certainly have a positive effect. :thumbsup:
When you have multiple radios on a jobsite and they keep getting turned up to drown out the other radios and people give each other crap over the radio station it is counter productive.

I am required by OSHA to have a written safety plan, part of the safety plan that everyone agrees to before coming to work for me, is no radios, I pods, headphones, MP3, MP4 players etc.

I also have a a jobsite board with all of my required notices, it also clearly spells out the no radio policy.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
When you have multiple radios on a jobsite and they keep getting turned up to drown out the other radios and people give each other crap over the radio station it is counter productive.

I am required by OSHA to have a written safety plan, part of the safety plan that everyone agrees to before coming to work for me, is no radios, I pods, headphones, MP3, MP4 players etc.

I also have a a jobsite board with all of my required notices, it also clearly spells out the no radio policy.
Well your guys need to learn some jobsite respect. If i am on site and i get there after another guy is working and i trun on my radio i put it on the same station as theirs even if i dont like the music. If im in another room and cant even hear is with mine turned off thren i have my own station on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I like the systainer idea.

Just a minor note, I asked about advice on what stereo to get, not whether to get one and why or why not.

·
I like Green things
22,990 Posts
I like the systainer idea.

Just a minor note, I asked about advice on what stereo to get, not whether to get one and why or why not.
There are a few that have a strong stand on radio's around here!:laughing:

I need some sort of dock so I can have a remote control.

I wish there was something with the dock (had a remote) and seperate speakers of some sort. I am good with 12 volt audio workings but, not so much with 120 volt stuff!!

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Well your guys need to learn some jobsite respect. If i am on site and i get there after another guy is working and i trun on my radio i put it on the same station as theirs even if i dont like the music. If im in another room and cant even hear is with mine turned off thren i have my own station on.
The problems I had was with subs with battling radio stations, and I got tired of the problems they caused so I eliminated them completely from my jobsites.

Same with smoking, I got tired of guys always smoking in the building when I would leave and throwing their cigarrette butts on the ground, so now I don't allow any smoking anywhere on my jobsites.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
The problems I had was with subs with battling radio stations, and I got tired of the problems they caused so I eliminated them completely from my jobsites.

Same with smoking, I got tired of guys always smoking in the building when I would leave and throwing their cigarrette butts on the ground, so now I don't allow any smoking anywhere on my jobsites.
I don't blame you for that, working around thoes playing radio wars of country vs. rap gets really annoying.

I need some sort of dock so I can have a remote control.

I wish there was something with the dock (had a remote) and seperate speakers of some sort. I am good with 12 volt audio workings but, not so much with 120 volt stuff!!
What are you trying to play? Radio? Ipod? Does it need an RF remote or is line of sight ok?

12V audio and 120V isn't as different as you may think, same basic principles apply. If I had the time, inclination and spare systainer I think it would be a fun project.

I think it may be cheaper and easyer to butcher an existing portable unit like this:

Sorry Erik, guess we kinda bunked your thread.

My advice is to go with the radio that they are giving away free with the purchase of a tool kit. It seems as though you buy any cordless kit and you get a free radio...so why pay for one?:clap:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have a bosch box and is decent plus it has a remote!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also have the Bosch radio and like it fine. Sound is good and seems to be built as solid as an of them are. I've been planning to get a car charger type thing for my ipod to use with it. The radio has a 12v port on the side that you could plug one into. You could also plug a wall charger into the outlets on the other side and then run a cable into the aux plug. I haven't decided which way I will go with it yet. I figure you can store it in the storage area in the back and it would be protected fine. I know some have had problems with this particular radio, but mune has been great for me.

·
Semi retired/ Over worked
58 Posts
No radios on my job site! I pre qualify all of my subs and vendors and my contract clearly says it. I will not compete with a loud ass radio when I am trying to talk with my subs. I have cut the cord on a subs radio after I told him to turn it off and he refused. And I really do care what they think, its my job not theirs.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
No radios on my job site! I pre qualify all of my subs and vendors and my contract clearly says it. I will not compete with a loud ass radio when I am trying to talk with my subs. I have cut the cord on a subs radio after I told him to turn it off and he refused. And I really do care what they think, its my job not theirs.

You must be a right laugh to work for :blink:. I would have inserted that radio into your back end if you tried that with my radio :laughing:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A friend of mine in school was an elevator mechanic, they had a radio blasting away in the pit. The old cantankerous on site safety advisor kept telling them to turn it down so their head mechanic turned it up over and over.

The old man smashed his radio to bits on the concrete floor.

That night the mechanic smashed in the door of his office and demolished it by smashing everything in sight....Made for a tense work environoment.:whistling

·
Registered
440 Posts
radios are good for business imo

21 - 40 of 59 Posts