Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older Bosch job site table saw motor burned up and it is ragged otherwise so I am not going to get it rebuilt. Can you all tell me what is a good portable saw. I looked at the Dewalt 745 at Home D and hated it. Fence was broken in the store, that is always a bad sign. Most Amazon reviews are by DIY ers so I wanted to hear it from you.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Waltwood said:
My older Bosch job site table saw motor burned up and it is ragged otherwise so I am not going to get it rebuilt. Can you all tell me what is a good portable saw. I looked at the Dewalt 745 at Home D and hated it. Fence was broken in the store, that is always a bad sign. Most Amazon reviews are by DIY ers so I wanted to hear it from you.
I run the 745 and love it. I know several guys who run Thai saw and love it to. And the fact that it was broken in HD is from someone who had no clue how to use it and broke the thing.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have been using a skil table saw at work, we usually only need to make rips that won't show, but the cut quality isn't too bad, it's lightweight, and we've been able to rip 2x's all day without a hiccup. I think it was $75 at Lowe's on black friday.

I don't like it, but it works. I have a nice old craftsman stationary in my shop for the nice stuff, then again the nice stuff goes thru a jointer to clean it up so it doesn't matter too much.

Reactions: charimon

·
Registered
70 Posts
dewalts job site saw is pretty much the gold standard. i have 2 of them for years and no problems. love them. im selling one now to get the new DWE7490X

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run the 745 and love it. I know several guys who run Thai saw and love it to. And the fact that it was broken in HD is from someone who had no clue how to use it and broke the thing.
It seemed like a toy to me but I have never run one and many people like it.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bought the rigid table saw with stand as a temp when on an out of town job, was available in store, when I needed it. Haven't needed to get anything nicer as of yet, and use the hell out of it everyday ripping 2x4 rough sawn trim. Could use a bit more power....but couldn't everything?! Lol

·
Super Moderator
10,678 Posts
I had the older Dewalt for about ten years. The bearings went out and I bought the new full size Bosch. The motor is very smooth, but does not seem as powerful as the Dewalt. I don't think the gravity rise stand is "all that" either. The scissor type Dewalt stand is simple, yet very stable and easy to store and set up. I did finally replace the bearings in the Dewalt and gave it to an employee.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have the 4100, the referenced thread above is talking about the 4000 (although I don't know the difference between the two). I love the gravity rise stand, it works well for its intended purpose as well as makes it really easy to get it in and out of my work trailer and the back of my truck. I came from a $150 crapsman saw that had to have the fence squared and clamped for every cut and the motor started so hard and so fast the blade would warp and hit the insert so the Bosch was a tremendous step up for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09...id=1381190143&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+table+saw

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've got the baby Bosch (gts1031) and it works great for me. Designed well in my opinion and good power. I use it for small rip cuts. For sheet goods I use my Makita track saw. IMHO that's the only way to roll these days.

I've had a number of table saws over the years. The skil, the ridgid jobsite saw on the folding stand and the dewalt 745.

I couldn't have cared less about the skil. Sold it!

The ridgid was a very adequate saw IMO. I had no complaints.

I then got the 745. I know everyone raves about the fence. I just never saw the attraction. OK saw, nothing exceptional to me.

I ended up trying the baby Bosch when it came out and really liked it. It's light and easy to move around. I feel it's built tough enough to hold its own as long as it's not overly abused (no diff than anything else).

I ended up selling the dewalt and ridgid (only because of it size).

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
I also have the baby Bosch, but I've only done 3 houses with it. Great for what it is. Exceptional dust collection. Hook up to a shop vac and cut in the client's living room. Well maybe not quite...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Bought the dw745 cuz I thought it would be a handy saw to grab to do quick punch list stuff

I ended up parking my big job site saw in the garage and use the dewalt for everything now. It's probably the only dewalt power tool I like an think is the top of its class. Bought the rosseau for it and love it even more now

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
DW 745.....not even a close call.

Head and shoulders above everything else.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts