Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I am doing some research on portable gensets and I was hoping someone on this forum would be able to help. My company is looking into purchasing a portable generator to provide power at job sites. What size gensets do you guys use? What tools get hooked up to your genset? How big are your crews? Any brands good or bad? Any feedback on integrated power generators for our trucks? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
It would help if you let us know what type of work you do. Framing finish work painting all need different things. My company uses a 6500 honda the eu series I think it is quite as hell and everything gets plugged in chargers compressor chop saw grinders hilti. I'm sure it can handle all of them at once but it's usually always the chargers and two other tools.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Buy as much as you can afford, Honda = quiet. Add up power draw of the tools and buy one at least 25% bigger. Remember things like table saws, chop saws, etc draw a lot of power at startup which will trip breakers if you are using close to the gens capacity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It would help if you let us know what type of work you do. Framing finish work painting all need different things. My company uses a 6500 honda the eu series I think it is quite as hell and everything gets plugged in chargers compressor chop saw grinders hilti. I'm sure it can handle all of them at once but it's usually always the chargers and two other tools.
You hit that one on the head; hard to say without knowing what power requirements are needed. What works for the home builder will not for those that build larger projects.

BTW; I'm new here certainly new to building. I'm retired and now consulting on Movie Theater Design and Construction.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
All i use mine for is LED work lights, charging batteries and one drill. My 20A inverter generator does everything I need and I can carry it with one hand.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I worked on one site where the GC had one of those Generac whole-house units bolted on his truck between the cab and the bed. What I liked about it was that it was relatively quiet. One thing that I can't stand are those lawn mower engine generators that are so loud that you can't even think!:mad:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've been on job sites where all we needed was a small $300 Genrac to get by and I've been on job sites where we needed a generator the size of a small semi trailer...... What will you be powering with the generator?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I'd like to see a diesel prime mover ~15-30 KWatt with plug and play auto-start, direct drive DC alt/generator with reverse electronic variable frequency drive(constant voltage and 60 Hertz output, input rpm (~1500-3600)) varies with loads.... 8 hr or 30 hr tank size. and 3 phase option
Modular power panel with plug in Main wire harness(50', 100',150' twist locks), i.e. take the panel to the loads, leave the noise at the edge of site....

Hot water output from exhaust/radiator cutout(think ground heat-sandpiles, shack heater) software control of electric clutched? Optional pto run air compressor and hydro pak optional, ag style 2000/1000 rpm actual pto for farmers and future options......option back up power software/panel/cordage for home or shop? eliminate prime movers on mortar grout mixers... just plug in the Hydro hose to Power pack/generator....away from mortar cement dust....and sand...

pallet skid/cube w/crane loops or trailer mounted.

Aaron, anything produced for class 8 trucks in volume is going to be the best bang for the dollar... the market is huge, # made are high, and there is competition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts