Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , Let's see whats happening .

The crew gets to the job half the material is delivered, #$#$#
They left all the screws, nails and ladders at the shop.
two to three trips to lumber yard each day ? does this sound like the average crew ?

I am thinking about hiring a Job/Construction Expediter

#1. Job-Material & Supply Setup, prior to job start
#2. Job-Site deliveries or delivered ticket check off.
#3. Equipment, Materials & Supplies ready for Job Start

What would they save ?
No More 20 dollar hour non-production truck drivers Later Grady

·
JimmyS
224 Posts
whose job

Whose job is it to be organized, to bring what you need, to get materials delivered at the right time? If it's the crew, then shake them up. If it's someone else, shake them up. If it's you, should you be blaming others? If it's not clear who's responsible, that's also your department, no?
Jim

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
nlgutters - When we tried the hiring outside salesman technique we had the same thing to. They seem to pay a lot more attention to things the first time if they know it will cost them the second time. That is sort of our companies philosophy. You already got paid once (and pretty well) to do it right the first time that you are not going to get paid to make it right the second time. Call backs decrease dramatically.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My pay plan is complicated but basically they would be fined for forgetting stuff at the shop and going back to pick it up.

You need to find a way to make them fincially responsible for what they do.
This is illegal where I come from (Canada) (maybe it is a BC thing). Even in sales if an employee messes up and gives a customer too much change, they are not financially responsible. Or if an apprentice were to cut a 200$ piece of lumber too short, and you have to go get another one, they are not financially responsible.

Although I guess if you give your employees bonuses you could make up the damage there.

This may be different in the US but I doubt it.

What about talking to your guys about reducing their wage if they don't come to work with their head in the game. I would suspect this would do the trick? (They would likely quit if you did but I would assume they would buck up before you would have to) Or have a meeting about possible profit sharing if certain requirements are met? Perhaps one trip to hardware store daily or something along those lines?

I dunno maybe I'm out of line here

110 Posts
Why don`t you have them prepare and load the trucks at the end of the shift for the next day?

That way the won`t hang around the shop and still go out half cocked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also, it just came to me, that it is not uncommon for builders in my area to have a guy just for material/tools trips. Usually a labourer, or the old timer super.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have a "production coordinator". She is responsible for ordering all materials and making sure they are in on time for the job as well as scheduling all outside labor and keeping track of our inside crew schedules. She also tags all materials in the warehouse by job so that materials are all together and none are forgotten. Lead carpenters are responsible for telling her what other materials they will need for the job as well as which outside labor will be needed and when. If they left it off the list, it's their fault. If she doesn't get it there, it's her fault. Everything is in writing so there is no he said, she said stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts