Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
suggestions. I am horrible at interviewing and hiring applicants. I feel sorry for every applicant and hire them on-the-spot with no background check. I don't want to go overboard, but I definitely need to protect myself better. Later, in the application, I will request the applicants favorite web sites, forums, etc. because you can find a lot of juicy information by going to an applicants favorite sites.

http://www.bestlineplumbing.com/69%20Job%20Application.htm

My goal is not to get the answers to specific questions. I am asking questions, sometimes twice, to determine the applicants strength and expertise in their field. This application is for a combination of plumbers, door canvassers, and telemarketers.

All criticism and suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Sean
5,514 Posts
You need a section so they can list any felonies, etc... instead of just a simple yes / no box

Depending on your company, policies and positions, most felonies would be an automatic no for employment - but not all of them might be
If they feel that they have a chance to state what & why they had a felony the good ones will list it instead of simply going I have no choice & checking no hoping you don't check or that they can try explaining it away later

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is there an employment agency around you that could do preliminary interviews? Have them weed through the worst of the applicants, check drivers license, etc, and only then set up an interview with you. No idea what it would cost, but it might be worth looking into.

·
Super Moderator
24,467 Posts
:rolleyes: I am very new here & don't want to step on any toes. But looking at your profile you seem to be an experienced contractor. Not only as a contractor at some point in your career you must have been a foreman & super where you hired & fired guys. Applications & BS are great. What does your gut tell you? Go with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts