Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever have one of those projects where so many little things go wrong, nothing major, just little fukk-ups, where you start thinking.....

Maybe, the current or former owners did something so unconscionably evil, that maybe their once happy home is now the abode of demons, and this house is actually the final resting place of all the lost souls of the damned?

Or maybe it's just because I'm tired.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
Seven-Delta-FortyOne said:
Do you ever have one of those projects where so many little things go wrong, nothing major, just little fukk-ups, where you start thinking..... Maybe, the current or former owners did something so unconscionably evil, that maybe their once happy home is now the abode of demons, and this house is actually the final resting place of all the lost souls of the damned? Or maybe it's just because I'm tired.
Yes. And it's usually on the project where you're really trying to impress someone...

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I think you've just described every project i do at home. The neighbours say the PO liked to do work around the house and he also liked to drink rye. He usually started with the rye about 2 hours before any work 10 years later and I might have almost gotten rid of all the crazy stuff that he did before we bought. But I need to redo the siding soon. I'm scared...very scared

I'm sure someone will be saying the same about me in 20 years

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
57,052 Posts
Don't really have cursed projects, but I have cursed pcs. Once I make a mistake on a project it's usually a bugger to get that part finished without having a few more instances of :censored::censored:

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I think you've just described every project i do at home. The neighbours say the PO liked to do work around the house and he also liked to drink rye. He usually started with the rye about 2 hours before any work 10 years later and I might have almost gotten rid of all the crazy stuff that he did before we bought. But I need to redo the siding soon. I'm scared...very scared

I'm sure someone will be saying the same about me in 20 years
You're going to find some great flashing details out there... playing cards and old laminated inserts from playboy magazine wrapping window RO's

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
You're going to find some great flashing details out there... playing cards and old laminated inserts from playboy magazine wrapping window RO's
Mostly no flashing. I went to put down some new deckboards and ended up removing siding, sheathing, rimboard, and replacing the bottom of a couple studs and ends of joists. All for a bit of flashing

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I work almost exclusively in really old houses. You have to learn to fail your way to success:laughing:
Yep. One I was on was built in the '50's, not too old, but certainly atypical construction.

I was working on the pink bathroom, replacing the floor, plumbing, new bath fan, except there was no room for a fan. Had to shoehorn it into a box built into a transom window. :wallbash:

Definitely taxed my carpentry skills. It was about as frustrating as trying to shove a wet noodle up a wild cat's ass.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,740 Posts
You have to love Pepto-Bismol pink tub and matching toilet and sink:rolleyes:

One of the worst fan installs I had to do involved tearing out framing on the shower end of a tub to get enough room for a fan at the top and some skinny storage that at least looked like it made sense, You know the drill:laughing:

As a bonus surprise, the tub didn't actually fit the way it was installed originally, so when whoever installed it put it in, they cut off all the wall studs at the foot of the tub. 4' of wall hung off of a few nails and drywall.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You have to love Pepto-Bismol pink tub and matching toilet and sink:rolleyes:

One of the worst fan installs I had to do involved tearing out framing on the shower end of a tub to get enough room for a fan at the top and some skinny storage that at least looked like it made sense, You know the drill:laughing:

As a bonus surprise, the tub didn't actually fit the way it was installed originally, so when whoever installed it put it in, they cut off all the wall studs at the foot of the tub. 4' of wall hung off of a few nails and drywall.
Don't forget pink tile everywhere, too. :laughing: Apparently, they have quite a following. There's even a few websites devoted to them.

It's amazing to see some of this bad construction, that has somehow held up for 50 or more years.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,740 Posts
Some people will pay pretty good money for that stuff - it's almost collectible, especially if it has a Deco flair. Coolest thing I ever saw was a tub faucet that looked a lot like one of the old airplanes, with the handles being the propellers.

Some of those old timers that did odd stuff definitely knew what they were doing, but that doesn't mean I'd do it too - but I don't mind learning something new (or old, in this case).

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
All 3 tiny bathrooms in my grandparents' Yonkers, NY home have pastel matching fixtures. That stuff was installed in the 60s and somehow still looks pretty good with near to no maintenance. Most bathrooms I've seen installed in the 90s and early 2000s already look like sh%t.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I usually boom some smaller jobs, in the evening and weekends when someone needs something done cast. Small things like painting, repairs or some flooring. Almost all of them have something that goes wrong

·
Registered
593 Posts
The entire job I'm on so far has been jinxed. It's my first kitchen in a few months - seems like I can't get out of doing bathrooms lately. Finally get a kitchen that was supposed to be a breather and it's gonna send me to an early grave.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which might lead a thinking man to wonder what's so bad about it when all is said and done.
I'm one of those guys who thinks steel connectors are a good thing, (I know, just ban me now :eek: ) but I start to wonder when I'm remodeling these older places, and they're dang rock solid, through dozens of earthquakes and all.

I don't think toe-nailing everything is a good idea, and I know that in controlled tests, it's proved inferior, but working on some of these places has got me wondering. Hmm.....

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I've got all these old growth (native some call them) 2x4s full of 16 penny nails and those things are 100x harder to pull nails from than any of the newer studs. I clean them up and try to use them. I have a 3 ft pile of plaster lath in my basement. Here's a counter I used old lath for.

Table Serveware Glass

Furniture Table Wood stain Desk Hardwood

·
Registered
Remodel
31,740 Posts
I've seen a shed roof that was toe nailed onto the side of a balloon frame building that was still there ~110 years later. It was nailed into the board sheathing. It turns out full 1X board sheathing is a decent structural element. No headers over windows on load bearing walls, either, but they didn't bow or sag.

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
The roof on part of my house was toe nailed into the old cedar lap siding, hitting none of the studs of course. The other side has birds mouth notches over cut so most of them are splitting. Mostly supported by asphalt shingles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.