Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job coming up for a bathroom remodel. After discussing for a few days the homeowner has decided they want to use the Onyx panels. I've used it a few times on back splashes and installed it once in a shower.
They decided to also go with the side skirt and I know my 15 year old pc isnt up to the task at cutting the arch clean that I'll need to cut at the top of the tub.
So now I'm looking at a new jigsaw. I love barrel grips because for me I get better control so I'm looking at a Bosch or Festool.
I'm looking for the pros and cons from those who own or have used either.

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
I have a Bosch that's going on 5-6 years old. Its been a good saw. I like the orbital feature, really speeds up the process when cutting 2x material.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the carvex but I dont use a jigsaw often so the price was not what I wanted. I looked at the Trion and tried it out and loved the cut but didnt like the dust guard making it hard to see the line.

I like the dc on festools but I'm leaning towards the bosch for the price, for a tool I use only so often. The Trion isn't out of my decision yet . What I need is a saw that has low vibration and super clean cuts. I know blades play a huge part of that as well.

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
I have a Bosch. It's good. I have a buddy with an older festool. Might be the trion. The blade does not cut square to the base. So the bottom of the blade cuts farther than the top of the blade. Makes it a useless jigsaw for certain applications

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I have a Bosch I've been using for years and love it.Very smooth cut and very little vibration.And,I do use mine quite a bit.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I have a buddy with an older festool. Might be the trion. The blade does not cut square to the base. So the bottom of the blade cuts farther than the top of the blade. Makes it a useless jigsaw for certain applications
I am sure someone will be by here soon to tell you this does not happen :whistling

I have a couple of Bosch jig saws, cut nicely, last long, very happy with them. Last year had to use a 6" blade to cut some decorative brackets, worked great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We use a DeWalt 18 V to cut most of our Onyx Collection panels. Use a large tooth Bosch blade. Do all of your squaring up and layout on the back of the panel. Then you can see your lines, you don't scratch the face, and the minimal chip-out is on the back. The large kerf blades allow clearance for cutting curves. Leave the line and belt sand to it. Onyx looks better when the panel gaps are kept down to 1/32 - 1/16. Smaller caulk beads are easier to control and clean up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I have a Bosch. It's lasted quite a few years but at this point the base is out of alignment and the trigger is tempremental. I'm going to switch to the Carvex fairly soon.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've used the older bosch jigsaws and they were great. I went out and bought one last year thinkin they would be the same. The new ones don't live up to the previous model.

The blade on mine consistently jumps the guide, causing it to cut out of square. I've had some better luck with down cut blades, but I still have to fight it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have a Bosch. It's good. I have a buddy with an older festool. Might be the trion. The blade does not cut square to the base. So the bottom of the blade cuts farther than the top of the blade. Makes it a useless jigsaw for certain applications
You say the bottom of the blade cuts farther? As in farther forward?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
The carvex can back cut a scribe but only at the end of material. I have never used my jigsaw to do that as I used to use a angle grinder but now use my RAS. Much faster and more accurate to cut out scribes.

The trion can be had for a good price if you like that jigsaw. I never used it but never heard a bad thing said about it. The next best would be the older Bosch. The cordless Makita is a very nice jigsaw too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone have the M18 cordless jigsaw? I already have 8 batteries that would fit it. I've read reviews on it and it seems pretty good.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The carvex can back cut a scribe but only at the end of material. I have never used my jigsaw to do that as I used to use a angle grinder but now use my RAS. Much faster and more accurate to cut out scribes.

The trion can be had for a good price if you like that jigsaw. I never used it but never heard a bad thing said about it. The next best would be the older Bosch. The cordless Makita is a very nice jigsaw too.
I use a Makita angle grinder for scribing and coping some stuff. Will I be able to cope with an RAS?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts