Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any specific experience with a jig for the accurate positioning and depth control for drilling euro style hinge recesses in kitchen cabinet doors? My door supplier with profile doors profiled to my sizes but I need a jig to drill the hinge recesses. I will be using a hand drill with the correct bit of course.

Stores I have asked locally recall once seeing something but none stock any such jig.

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
Does anyone have any specific experience with a jig for the accurate positioning and depth control for drilling euro style hinge recesses in kitchen cabinet doors? My door supplier with profile doors profiled to my sizes but I need a jig to drill the hinge recesses. I will be using a hand drill with the correct bit of course.

Stores I have asked locally recall once seeing something but none stock any such jig.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32263&cat=1,180,42311

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=&p=55234&cat=3,41241,55420,55559

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Now many doors are you doing? Dont make it more complicated than it has to be. Use a piece of 1/4" luan, make a template, clamp to each door. As far as the depth, most fosner bits, which is what you need are just about the correct thickness to to allow for the hinge to sit flush. Eyeball it carefully, when the back of the bit is flush with the back of the door, your good, confirm this of coarse. GMOD

·
Working
4,127 Posts
Gen and TB hit the nail on the head. Most times I do it like Gen exactly what he said the top of the 1 3/8" bit is about right. Did it like TB said when I had 42 doors to drill. Set up a fence and a stop block. I wouldn't waste my time on a premade jig it's just a gadget.

Cole

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Gen and TB hit the nail on the head. Most times I do it like Gen exactly what he said the top of the 1 3/8" bit is about right. Did it like TB said when I had 42 doors to drill. Set up a fence and a stop block. I wouldn't waste my time on a premade jig it's just a gadget.

Cole
I only had 2 doors to drill.:thumbsup: I didn't even use a stop block. Just some center marks done out with a combo square:laughing: In the end, decent hinges will allow you make up for slight errors....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts