Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever able to sell a job where jesus was making the buying decision? About once a week down here in the bible belt a couple will tell me that they always have to pray on major purchases. I think its one of the most annoying stalls because what can you say other than ok ill go home and hold my breath until the lord oks the deal?

My personal beleif is that if christianity was true than Jesus would probably be involved in more important affairs than a $4000 window purchase.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't pull that off. Once in frustration I said "Well can we go into the other room and pray together so god can hear my side of the story?" That didnt work too well. But at least they laughed and didnt get mad.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"My personal beleif is that if christianity was true than Jesus would probably be involved in more important affairs than a $4000 window purchase."

You misunderstand Christianity. Matthew 10:29 "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father."

Know your market. Know your customers.

Tim

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Paul Staub said:
I think its one of the most annoying stalls because what can you say other than ok ill go home and hold my breath until the lord oks the deal?
I doubt it's a stall tactic. I don't doubt that it's EXTEREMLY annoying to hear such a thing. I admire people who can submit themselves, to that degree, to Jesus' sovereignty in there lives, provided however they're not selective about which Christian tenets they embrace for appearances of piety and which they reject for convenience of living. I'd want to tell them that they should have prayed about it before they wasted my time doing an estimate. But I think I'd simply tell them that I trust that God's name will be glorified through their decision.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My wife and I are some of those people who pray to make correct decisions and for a number of years early in the marriage a $4k decision was a major decision for us. The only difference is we do the praying first, kind of like getting pre-qualified. I wouldn't ever discuss that aspect of decision making with a salesman either.

On a side note, when I am in a home and notice that the people are the same religion as me, I never say anything until after the sale and only if it is appropriate. There are lots of people in my religion who use that angle which rubs me the wrong way, particularly if it is a scam.

Rich

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
My good friend is the pastor at the church I attend, I've known him and his family about three years now, the only thing I can say is just down right great people. If you stold his shirt he would give you his shoes.

Just a note, the result from his faith has brought up 6 fantanistic kids, smart, energetic, active in the community, and I'll bet each will succeed. His oldest girl (20) went to Bolivia to teach.

I keep asking him "Where's my room?"

Bob

·
Registered
318 Posts
Check out the Google ads this thread is activating. :) We ought to try a few choice "key words" in thread titles just to see what ads will come up there.

Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Find a salvage yard that has a couple of stained glass windows perhaps the answer will come sooner than you had hoped...
Dan

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
His oldest girl (20) went to Bolivia to teach.
That's very admirable. How's she look in a bathing suit ? :cheesygri

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a feeling that would happen... Anyway i am in no position to talk religion with any customer and it is the one thing a customer can say to me that i dont have a response for.

I agree that if people need to pray about it it would be better to pray as a pre-qualifying method rather than a get the salesman out of the house method.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Really isn't the "we need to pray on it" exactly the same as "we need to think about it."

When someone tells me they need to think about it I ask "what they are going to think about?" You could do the same thing, "What specifics do you plan to ask the Lord for guidance about my windows?"

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Paul Staub said:
About once a week down here in the bible belt a couple will tell me that they always have to pray on major purchases. I think its one of the most annoying stalls because what can you say other than ok ill go home and hold my breath until the lord oks the deal?
"That's great folks, but you are wasting your time, I prayed to God on the way over here and he told me to charge you $6000.00."

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Customer: "My wife and I need to pray about this purchase."

Me: "I understand how you feel, but when you consider that God has entrusted you all with this wonderful house, doesn't it seem that a good steward would want the {windows} for God's house that it deserves? You certainly want to do everything in your power so that this house that God has entrusted you with will not fall into disrepair, don't you?"

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
You certainly want to do everything in your power so that this house that God has entrusted you with will not fall into disrepair, don't you?"
"Yea, but GOD wants 3 bids."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm a relatively spiritual person myself. I don't follow any of the major religions, but probably once a day i will pray, or have faith in a "god." It gives me hope motivation and all that good stuff, so I have nothing against peoples religions.

What i run into down here is people with less than a 4th grade education trying to tell me that I am going to hell because I have not accepted jesus into my life during a windows or siding sales call. That is not the time and place for that. Its anoying.

·
Knight of Ni!
93 Posts
Glasshousebltr said:
God says don't use Low-E, it reflects to much devine light.

Bob
Glass you crack me up! :cheesygri met.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts