Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, we rented a 28’ motor home for our trip from Oregon >Idaho>Montana>Wyoming>S Dakota>home

Literally the biggest piece of **** I have ever rented. 5 grand for 15 days. So glad wife now agrees we don’t ever want one. Stroke of genius on my part, renting vs buying used and reselling if needed. Cheap tuition.

The 2021 e450 chasis is great. 6 speed, 8 MPG. Easy transition from driving my box van. 18,xxx miles when we picked it up.

But everything by Jayco sucks.

Refrigerator doesn’t run when parked without shore power.

No Interior lights unless running or plugged in.

Generator doesn’t run unless ignition is on.

Silverware Drawer opens when cornering unless bungeed.

Two inset panels in cabinet detached, insufficient fasteners and adhesive.

Overpowered struts on overhead cabinets slam the ceiling when opened, light diffuser falls off.

Broken grates on plastic vent grilles.

LP heater doesn’t work. Blows ambient air when triggered. Doubt the AC works either.

Broken (fatigued) pin on the auto retracting step at the door. Easy fix.

Door doesn’t latch well. Daylight and road noise. Unlatched by itself twice at night.

Kitchen Window leaks when rain pours over it. Broken screen door handle, since it (used to) latches to the door and doesn’t disengage when the door is opened.

Fresh water supply leaks into the gray or black. 24 hours max of limited use for a 40(?) gallon tank.

Cosmetics? Glad you asked. Crooked refrigerator door. Crooked drawer front. Opened miter on overhead cabinet door.

Positively, the auto leveling jack system is pretty convenient and straightforward.
The LP stove/oven works fine.

I would be embarrassed or infuriated if I owned or managed Jayco.

For 150, you would hope an RV work as it should.

Can’t recommend at all. Anyone else’s experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Radical Basement Dweller
37,255 Posts
I'm big on contacting the company when things are great.
I'm also big on contacting them when things suck.
I'd have to send what you just typed to the rental place and manufacturer.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to hear that. It sounds like the rental company doesn't do upkeep / repair.

I don't know about anything that big, but the Sportsmobile conversions are top notch.
Private party, we’re only the third time he’s rented it.

But how much maintenance is he expected to perform if he just bought it in April?
- I know he’s had it back from where he purchased it for a door pin that broke and the refrigerator issue. Camping world said there was nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm big on contacting the company when things are great.
I'm also big on contacting them when things suck.
I'd have to send what you just typed to the rental place and manufacturer.
I sent them a link to this thread.

I wouldn’t own this if it was given to me. There’s something about things that don’t work properly that really gets on my nerves.

·
Registered
Remodel
34,735 Posts

But how much maintenance is he expected to perform if he just bought it in April?
- I know he’s had it back from where he purchased it for a door pin that broke and the refrigerator issue. Camping world said there was nothing wrong with it.

That's pathetic....

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
26,256 Posts
Wow. So sorry to hear that was such a negative experience. I'd definitely be looking for a discount on the rental. Since it's a private party rather than otherwise, hopefully he has a conscience. Only way he wouldn't be aware of some or most of those issues is if he never personally took it out on a run.

Also agree that Jayco should hear about it. I'd be interested to see their response.

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,583 Posts
The MDF is helping to soak up the water as well.
Well, there's an upside, lol.

Sorry the rig sucks but the pics of the scenery and descriptions sound great.

I'm glad you're a glass half full kinda guy and making the best of it. The kids won't remember a bit of the assache you're putting up with.

I'd definitely have to have a little chat with the man when you get back home...

·
Radical Basement Dweller
37,255 Posts

I would think he'd pay as much attention to it as if it was a vacation rental house...or a hotel room.

I know I would.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, there's an upside, lol.

Sorry the rig sucks but the pics of the scenery and descriptions sound great.

I'm glad you're a glass half full kinda guy and making the best of it. The kids won't remember a bit of the assache you're putting up with.

I'd definitely have to have a little chat with the man when you get back home...
It’s been a good trip so far, seeing all this stuff for the first time with the family.

We’re near Butte, MT, now, going to check out some caverns tomorrow.

Assache- a perfect description and a new word for me.

Zero hard feelings for the owner. It’s a bit inconvenient for us, but I feel bad for the guy that bought it.

I would think most of the issues could be fixed, but if the finished product is this shoddy, what other issues are there?

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
8,299 Posts
I’ve found out the hard way that there really are no good RVs

The list of things that were fkkt up in the brand new trailer I bought was about three times that long.

Warranty service was atrocious

If I built the way RV manufacturers do, I would be bankrupt and in prison.

Buddy of mine bought a Mobile Elite used. It’s supposed to be one of the best out there.

It’s a $160K new. He got it for about $85K at 3 years old. Seems to be better than most.

So I guess if you want to spend less than $100K, you’re stuck with a piece of $#!^

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I've been told by a full time rv guy, these companies send these things out knowing that there will be a lot of problems. They don't care, because a majority of the customers will only use it once a year, and not bother or even notice the majority of the problems. Further, they leave it to the dealers to fix the issues that are brought forth.
So, the dealer you choose to use plays a big part in this.
This friend was a Colorado resident, but would only deal with a specific dealer in Wyoming.

He upgraded his Rvs on almost annual basis. Every time he bought one, he'd upgrade the tires immediately. He also hired me to beef up the cabinetry to the tune of about a thousand bucks each time.
He was an electrician and he improved the electrical on his own. Lot of shoddy connections to be found in New Rvs.

In his opinion, the rv companies at the top were Arctic Fox, Airstream, and below them, outdoors rv. Jayco and the like were the bottom of the barrel.

These were his opinions.

My own experiences are with older models, and I absolutely hate the friggin things. Unfortunately, my wife loves our 5th wheel, which is a15 yo palomino. Its like a second job keeping up with that thing. I'm told the best way to store it is under a roof, with heat in the winter, and keep it plugged in. So I may be building a pole barn type canopy in the future just to store our stupid 5th wheel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve found out the hard way that there really are no good RVs

The list of things that were fkkt up in the brand new trailer I bought was about three times that long.

Warranty service was atrocious

If I built the way RV manufacturers do, I would be bankrupt and in prison.

Buddy of mine bought a Mobile Elite used. It’s supposed to be one of the best out there.

It’s a $160K new. He got it for about $85K at 3 years old. Seems to be better than most.

So I guess if you want to spend less than $100K, you’re stuck with a piece of $#!^
I rented a pro-master 2500 conversion van as kind of a warmup for this trip, two months ago for our 17th wedding anniversary.

It was built by a new business specializing in building them out. They did crappy work. Wood paneling held in with drywall screws, rough cuts, just kind of looked bad. It is their first rental van, and my 13 year old could literally do a better job.

Ironically, it was a better finished product than this one is.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
37,255 Posts
Meet the American who invented the motor home
Roland R. Conklin converted a Packard pickup in 1915 to put the comforts of home on the rugged American road

Bus Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 61 Posts