Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tile bath in a rental that doesn't have bull nose tile finish the edges. I mention this because the drywall is being replaced over the soffit & on the sides. It's hard to picture but I decided that running the rock 1/2" longer then slipping a channel could be a good idea and provide a backing to caulk.

My question is whether or not I can spackle the face flange or will it come through even with tape. I also considered tear away.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
They make a mudable J bead.............Or L bead

Trying to understand, tile is staying and you are butting new drywall up to it? Will it be flush or set back?

If the drywall is finished set back 3/8'' or so there is no point in using anything. Cut the rock tight and either grout or caulk.

·
Registered
15,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They make a mudable J bead.............Or L bead

Trying to understand, tile is staying and you are butting new drywall up to it? Will it be flush or set back?

If the drywall is finished set back 3/8'' or so there is no point in using anything. Cut the rock tight and either grout or caulk.
Yes this bath has a tub alcove with a tiled soffit. Its old with many layers of plaster,rock and finally 1x6 T&G. So everything is pulled off except that tile. It is an option to put nothing and let the rock run wild and silicone the back. Not sure if its a good idea though. Also considered the "L bead" where I could lap the "L" over the tile but then I cant really silicone.

·
Registered
15,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is where I need to come up with a finish for the drywall. The top soffit jogs out about 3/4" and so does the tile. So thats why I was thinking of a jay channel and siliconing the back. The bottom could be the same or an oversized "L" that lays right on the tile edge.

In either case If I jay the top, how do I finish the inside corner of the jog or the outside?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would use a Trim-Tex corner bead and cut the one side that hits the tile. And glue and staple it in . Coat it and paint it in. I don't like J channel or spackle J.. I think it look cheese. You want it to look nice, not like a repair or patch. Just my two cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts