Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here got their certification to use Jahn mortar. I'd like to get mine this winter while things are a bit slow but looking at their website they want you to do the training in Baltimore. Not going to happen for me. I know contacting them is the best way to go but I figured I'd ask here as well. MAybe there's a larger company that is getting some guys certified and I could take the course with them

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
I have looked into taking the class, this is what I know.

1. They will sell you the mortar for a single repair project without you taking the class, you just have to talk to the right district manager.

1a. Jahn mortar is one of two repair mortars recognized by the Indiana Limestone Institute as appropriate substances to apply to natural Indiana Limestone.

2. I only know of taking the class in Baltimore, but as the saying goes, you don't know what you don't know...

3. I have not taken the class, but after completing step 1 I have been able to complete a few repairs.

4. Their repair mortars are pretty good, and you have to follow the instructions closely, but I have had decent luck with it.

5. I spoke with one of my suppliers from Chicago who attended the class just for a better understanding of the product and in his advice to me was to spend my money on new tools, the class was pretty basic.

6. Jahn keeps a list of contractors and mason who have taken the class and I found it on line somewhere. You might be able to find another contractor who alligns with your business style and will subcontract the repair portion of a project. Based on the number of names on the list, the class must be evaluated on attendance...:whistling

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done Jahn repair before, I'm really just looking to get certified so I can bid on certain projects WITHOUT having to bring in some competition. I know a few people who are certified and i know they didn't go to baltimore to do it. If i run into them I'll ask how they did it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am a certified installer. I took the class about 12 years ago. It was a 3 day class at their facility. it went over all the products they sell and had some hands on repair mockups. I had to take the class as it was the speced material to repair terra cotta, limestone and brick on a job we did in NYC repairing a historic school, I was the field super for the Mason contractor so had to take the class to buy the stuff. I have never used it since then. I also do not look into that kind of work since going on my own 10 years ago.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never even heard of this product, gotta research.
Unless you do heritage restoration it's unlikely that you'd come across it. It's used as a patch to repair stone when a dutchman isn't suitable. It's spec'd on lots of gov't projects. I bet their using it by the ton at Queens park. I think Colonial is in there and they use it more than most. Lots being used at Parliament also which is where I'd like to be getting some smaller contracts

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
The cost of the product and the cost of the class are both reasonable in my opinion as long as you have a use for the certification. I have not run into very many projects that require the use of the product, so I haven't taken the class.

If I was trying to bid 5 jobs a quarter that specified Jahn mortars, I would take the next class available.

The critical thing to remember is that it is a time proven patch material for limestone decay. I don't think the matching process is nearly as important as the fact that it is compatible with existing limestone.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
The cost of the course isn't prohibitive, it's going to Baltimore for 3 or 4 days that I won't be doing.
I just googled directions from Ontario to Baltimore.:eek: Now I understand...:whistling

1 - 14 of 14 Posts