Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I need some advice.

I am currently working as a graphic designer, In the meantime I have completed a remodel and have sold the home. I do not have interest in working for clients but am seriously considering remodeling or building full time. I did well on my first project and am very comfortable doing everything myself. I also find it much more rewarding than my current occupation ( and I have an awesome job ). I would like to remodel, make additions to homes, add green appeal, and sell. Possibly in the future tackle whole builds.

Are there contractors on this board that tackle one project at a time or maybe juggle a home project as well as a few investment properties? Can you all give me some advice?

Advice specific to WA State is also helpful, as I have just moved there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would suggest keeping your current job. It is a long hard road and not all houses are easy to flip. Are you prepared to hang on to one if it does not sale for a year? Do more research before getting in to deep.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
We need some way to screen newbies,like say,first fill out profile with all their info before they can post.

Maybe a Registered Trade Name

Maybe a warning not to enter if your faint of heart,or aren't up to confrontation.

It just gets a bit distracting to see someone landblasted before their actual situation/standing is made clear.

I don't think it's good public image to hack a guy up after he makes his first post because he may/may not be legit.

JMHO

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
We need some way to screen newbies,like say,first fill out profile with all their info before they can post.

Maybe a Registered Trade Name

Maybe a warning not to enter if your faint of heart,or aren't up to confrontation.

It just gets a bit distracting to see someone landblasted before their actual situation/standing is made clear.

I don't think it's good public image to hack a guy up after he makes his first post because he may/may not be legit.

JMHO
OK..New rule...All members must wait till a nO0bs second post before hacking him to bits.:laughing:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Continue the beating! It's a good screening process and it's more entertaining than anything you'll see on TV (except South Park of course).

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
First thing is figure out what it is going to take to get licensed. And the hardest and most expensive thing for you is going to be the insurance. You have no building history, have never worked in the trades, so it is going to be tough getting anyone to insure you, and if they do it will be expensive. The one thing you do have going for you is you want to do all or most of the work yourself, which is a plus in the insurers eyes. They get to many what I call paper contractors who sub everything out and really don't have a idea of how things are supposed to be done. So if they don't know, how are they supposed to oversee the subs. This and too many claims on average against their policies is why rates are so high for a paper contractor until they have quite a few years under their belt.

Insurance brokers to talk to are CBIC in Seattle and RIS in Anacortes. We were with CBIC for many years until the builders insurance crisis quite a few years back. We got a better rate from RIS and they had a office in Tacoma.

But get your insurance and bond so you can get licensed. And the licensing is easy once you get these two things.

CBIC (Contractors Bonding & Insurance Company)
http://www.cbic.com/

RIS (RIS Insurance Services)
http://www.risnet.com/

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Are there contractors on this board that tackle one project at a time or maybe juggle a home project as well as a few investment properties? Can you all give me some advice?

Advice specific to WA State is also helpful, as I have just moved there.

Thanks!

A lot of what we know ,we were taught, while working for others,learned by experience,our own. And as they say,.
: Experience is the best teacher.

Very few people,me included,wants to give away what we paid for in blood,sweat and tears.

Try some reading material,talk to locals for your area to get a feel for the market and preferences.

And Good Luck.
I'd hate to see you at the stop light with one of those will work for beer money signs that seem to grace the intersections there.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
I've been whacking 'em (kindly) with these...I don't think it's helped, but it does make me giggle quite often

I don't get it.......... :blink:

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
Give em a brake seems like a nice guy.

How about being constructive like;

I'm glad you had a good experience with your first project but doing it for a living in these economic times can be stressful and just plain hard. Since you have a good job I would suggest sticking with it and keeping remodeling a sideline for now. :thumbsup:

Now isn't that better. The poster might actually stick around CT and enjoy learning and exchanging idea's.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Think the man should go get his license and then come back here. I see too many of these hacks or wannabes...they manage to owner/builder their one house and they think they are "jack of all trades". Before I even considered myself a real pro, I had to have built/remodeled over 100 homes as a G.C.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.