Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ho. doesn't like the look of flex j and i dont want to cut a stick front and back to go around it any advice? im working with vinyl 1 in j and dl dub. 4.5

thanks to all they went with flex j will post pic.s when complete.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Welcome to CT. Just a heads up, you will get great advice here if you follow the protocol of the forum. Please fill out your profile more thoroughly including your area, as well as do an intro in the introduction section.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Well, if no flex j is the order of the day i can only see 2 viable options:

1. Order a completely new window with a built in J channel track/brickmold option then you dont have a thing to worry about

or

2. Custom make some trim/brickmold out of Azek and leave a channel for the siding to slide in behind.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,223 Posts
If the HO won't go for J channel, about your only option is going to be routing something out of solid vinyl. Perhaps when he sees the price of that, J will suddenly become much more acceptable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, if no flex j is the order of the day i can only see 2 viable options:

1. Order a completely new window with a built in J channel track/brickmold option then you dont have a thing to worry about

or

2. Custom make some trim/brickmold out of Azek and leave a channel for the siding to slide in behind.

azek isn't av. in Cheyenne and i already tried ton talk him in to new windows it was a no go

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
azek isn't av. in Cheyenne and i already tried ton talk him in to new windows it was a no go
I've made more than one trip out of town to pick up materials not commonly stocked locally. It'd be worth a few phone calls to find a vendor that carries it so you could at least price it, along with windsheild time to grab it, and give the HO the option. Driving a few hours never scared me since i get paid regardless:thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
if vinyl siding is avalible im sure you can get pvc trim just maybe a different brand than azek

you could route something from pvc but your going to have to make it wider and make sure you manage flashing properly

if you don't want it wider than the j face well.....

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
push them on the idea of the pvc or at least make them understand that a new window is the only way with it j'd out or can you take the existing window and cut out the section of plastic which would otherwise be open for siding.

and flash it with 3m flex flash, same idea as vycor or bluskin only its designed specifically to work in arches

Reactions: randy franks

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
push them on the idea of the pvc or at least make them understand that a new window is the only way with it j'd out or can you take the existing window and cut out the section of plastic which would otherwise be open for siding.

and flash it with 3m flex flash, same idea as vycor or bluskin only its designed specifically to work in arches

3m? or tyvek flex wrap? great stuff but about 175 bucks a roll
i use it for sill flashing mostly

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
yah, the 3m is pricey, try blue skin and do it in a series of peices and make sure to use lots of primer then maybe seal the seams with primer. but if the 3m will work better as one peice than a series of em its money well spent. just factor that into the price or a percent of the roll then use it on the next one

·
Registered
1 Posts
flex-J around round window

we just cap over our flex-j with a window cap like the cap we use on the straight window trim. If capping a half round window is not up your alley, the web has products to make it easier. I have seen half round window trim caps for vinyl siding and we use them. It keeps the customers happy. But either way, good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts