Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's like the title says,...sometimes work just ain't fun :laughing:

Never the less, it's work...and somebody's got to do it :sad:

The parge coating on the white silica brick sills (badly deteriorated) is failing along with the entire north wall exposure grain by grain. What was once a soft, smooth face, is now a sandy, spalling, most hideously looking nightmare :blink:

These homes are approx. 65 years old, poured concrete foundations and brick and block construction. The front and side walls look good for the most part, no spalling, still pretty smooth and no discoloration.

This back wall however, faces north to an open field and gets driven with the prevailing winds. Freeze/thaw, I'm sure plays a major part as well.

Owner insists we try to keep it going with just patchwork, but I told him no go on the sills. The brick has softened to much and is simply falling apart. I would need to least replace the brick so I could parge up new to sills to match the others.

I'm sure I'll be selling these folks some form of wall render here in the future, but for now this is how they want it.

I took the trucks signs off for this one :laughing:

Attachments

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Through wall flashing here is galvanized sheet metal. After 65 years buried in cement, it still looks pretty decent. The only corrosion is on the back side bend from what I can see. For now I'll layer in a membrane to keep the fresh mud off it and I'll be setting concrete brick for my base sill.

Can't believe the carpenter used so many nails to set the original wood buck. Literally put them in every joint and it made removal quite a hassle

Attachments

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Looks good superseal :thumbup:

Hey sometimes these little patch jobs are a nice break from the bigger jobs. I like one every now and then. You just do what you can do with what you have to work with and what the owner can spend. And in the end they are usually pretty happy.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts