Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, So its time for me to introduce myself. I've been on here long enough and I plan on staying so I'll get this over with. I'm 23 and unlicensed. I got into the trades growing up in VT and fell back into them here on the big island of hawaii. I'm looking at continuing schooling in design, all things "green", and maybe some CM. My work here includes working with contractors when they need me and sourcing my own work on small sized projects. I've learned tons in the last few years from experience and... CT. I'm now comfortable with any aspect of building from ground up. I've also sold a few concrete countertops which are a blast. Thanks for all the great info I've picked up here, hopefully I can return some too.

-Dave

·
Registered
412 Posts
23, and comfortable with any aspect of building from ground up?
What's so hard to believe about that? I was building houses for customers at 25, and I built 2 houses between the ages of 21-24 for myself.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
23, and comfortable with any aspect of building from ground up?
Yea... ground up. Does that mean I'd take a job thats over my head, no. It does mean I could look at any building task and know the tools and techniques needed to do it correctly.

work for good (or bad) people with a desire to eat up all the knowledge you can and sooner or later you know a few things.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why you mention this in your introductory post is beyond me....especially if you have been here for a year and a half....
Should I be licensed at 23? What percentage of 23 year old carpenters have a license already... not many. I'd rather let ya'll know than try an hide it. But not being licensed doesn't mean I don't do the same work as you do day after day.

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Where do you get this mythical info...I've always heard they're sheep lovin' accounts...:whistling
A guy named Dave told me. I believed him because he knew the difference between a sheep and a goat. (Hint: I am an old goat.) My love for sheep, as real as it may be, shouldn't be represented in an avatar.

Duburban, the greater question would be is a license required for what you do? I know some localities will license GC w/o requiring that of subs.

I'm unlicensed also. None required here.

Good Luck
Dave

·
General Contractor
149 Posts
I will be subscribing to this thread for sure. Should keep me entertained all afternoon (and into the weekend between football).:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It does feel slightly hot in here already... Can anyone point me to a website where I can find out exactly what my local license law is?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts