Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its so dead up here, from mid Nov till end of Jan... every one spends $$ on Xmas I guess?
Every year....... I like the time but I going nuts....

I have had three people call and make appointments, then not show up.

First guy called, I think he was blasting his own crap and wanted to see how much he was saving...
Second called back an is waiting for Tax $$.
The Third, I got pinned down, Blaster from down the coast a bit... seeing what I charge. what ever!

Just cranks me off that they make a set apointment to show, and then dont!
Even if there a competitor, its low to do that to some one.

Sorry, Bad Day, Just Bitchn'

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the time of year that I go out and drive around.

Hand out cards, Shake hands ... Kind of like a politician. (Trying to find work...) :laughing:

I've gotten a few good jobs like this in the past, Lots of towns and construction Co. Getting prices for after the snow stops.

·
Todd
848 Posts
jim
i am in the same boat....i am going nuts too..ssssslllllooooowwwww

my wife is substituting the last two weeks and that doesnt pay well...we are slipping deep into a problem.good thing i own all of my gear...bad thing is i dont own my house outright and the landlord for my shop wants his rent...dumb little jobs like bikes and andirons but i will keep doing them because it is good business to do it ALL...

i also have been driving around handing out cards but that gets old because you really dont have any clue where to go once you have seen most of the places that you can think of...i wind up going and getting a coffee and then going home.

florida is a pretty jacked up state...lots of people living outside of their means...i have never seen so many for rent/lease/sale signs on commercial property in my life...if someone had some investment cash i would wait another 6 months or so and come down here and buy some commercial property...you could buy it cheap.

i did get a twelve pack of beer from my neighbor for some dumb little stuff i did in my blast cabinet that took 5 minutes...maybe i will drink today...lol

·
Master Blaster!
188 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat as well, we have a nice contract with a mine company but the work gets brought to us when they feel like bringing it, so far 2 weeks with nothing to do and im sending guys home, really does suck, being your in florida and out of the ****ty weather cant you blast and paint for farmers??? Never been to florida but id love to come down and work on a big project if i could find one.

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find that when I stop in at the little machanics places they bring some good work in. even though they don't use us for blasting, they have lots of turnaround customers.

also, I've been going way out of my area looking, up to 100 miles.
seems to be a good thing,
most say," didn't know anone around here did that, so maybe work will start coming soon.

It was March last year when work started to pick-up.

I've been doing lots of small crap, radeator brackets, bikes frames, little parts what nots.. at least its money.

wifes getting piss carring me, she says I'm very heavy LOL

·
Todd
848 Posts
Im kinda in the same boat as well, we have a nice contract with a mine company but the work gets brought to us when they feel like bringing it, so far 2 weeks with nothing to do and im sending guys home, really does suck, being your in florida and out of the ****ty weather cant you blast and paint for farmers??? Never been to florida but id love to come down and work on a big project if i could find one.

think los angeles...i am in a county that is like that...and surrounded by water on one side...and three more counties that look like mine...no farms here....yes the weather is good pretty much year round but it does rain here a bunch in the summer...like everyday in the late afternoon...

i am exposed well and people find me easy when they look...as i typed and hit submit on my first post i had a large company call and want some quotes...going today to look when i am releived of child care duties...they said the competition wasnt interested in making an effort to do it...i laughed and told them who it was...he laughed and said how did you know?lazy people kill me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have had three people call and make appointments, then not show up.

First guy called, I think he was blasting his own crap and wanted to see how much he was saving...
Second called back an is waiting for Tax $$.
The Third, I got pinned down, Blaster from down the coast a bit... seeing what I charge. what ever!
I'm curious as to how you knew why these people were calling? This brings up an interesting point. How do you guys deal with your competition (if you have some). Is it a friendly professional relationship or is it bad blood? I'm so small time right now, I don't think anyone in my area knows I do this...maybe they do.

·
Mr Blaster
75 Posts
Yep, kinda dead here in Iowa as well. I did make another county coop contact.... They busted the previous blaster/painter using Industrial Enamel in a potable water storage tank!!!! Turns out the paint store sold him the paint thinking he was using it somewhere else and is now pr ing me to them. This guy is an idiot... He had a great thing going, then figured out he was overbudget and wanted to save some on the product half way through.

Seems like now is the season for auto restore projects to start. Just blasted a truck rear end, and some odd ball pieces... Not enough for a full day, but got me out of the wifes kitchen remodel project for awhile.....

·
Todd
848 Posts
turns out it was a huge powder coater that specializes in patio funriture for places like disney and large places like that...guy was a dick.i told him to blast a complete boat tower for probably a 30 to 40ft boat 650-700 about a days work...he told me it shouldnt take anymore than a couple of hours...i asked him if he ever stood in the suit?he got mad...he also asked if i wanted to blast 100 patio sheas lounge chairs for 16 each...i also followed up by telling him he wasnt getting me out of bed for that cheap...he is under staffed and doesnt want to profile the boat top with the aluminum oxide in his booth...i gave him my card and said call me when you are on your way to deliver it and left...also told him to look at my website...tried to tell me also about chemical etching and pretreatments before powder is just as good as a mechanical bond...boy did he get sold some goods by his chemical company...:party:

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I made some very nice glossy fliers that my wife and I drove around to about fifty farms in the Amish area out here a few monthes ago. I have not recieved even one call from it. Maybe I have to do a better job of informing them of exactly what they can use me for? There must be two thousand farms on rt 23 if I could figure out how to get there busines.

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amish area out here a few monthes ago. I have not recieved even one call from it... if I could figure out how to get there busines.
You got to blast with a horse and buggie.... ;)

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm curious as to how you knew why these people were calling? This brings up an interesting point. How do you guys deal with your competition (if you have some). Is it a friendly professional relationship or is it bad blood? I'm so small time right now, I don't think anyone in my area knows I do this...maybe they do.

Grand, A few years back, I picked up a card from a person doing local sandblasting. I put most cards on the computer by scanning them. just so happens I put his in.
keep friends close, keep your enimies closer!
A year later I got a call from a guy, I saw the number was a local one.
he was asking questions that normal people don't.
How much an hour, how much per rim, how much for just the face...Bla bla bla.
To many questions for just 4 steel rims.
I was nice, gave him a quote as if for anybody, than he says, Ive got some one on the otther line ... can you hold? of course he hung up.
I looked up his number in the phone book, saw where he lived and remimbered the card.
I called him back, when he answered, I call him by his real name
he was embaresed... and hung up.

sence then, I try to gather all the info on people doing this. websites phone book, cards,word of mouth. etc..
once and a while I get a strange call, weird questions. I look it up and ya they call for a price check I guess.
On the internet, theres a reverse look up site too.
and if it comes up a private, some times that too is a sign. but not always.

One guy that called said, I have a small blast pot but its not working right now, so I thought I'd get a price to see if you can.... then he was asking questions about how big my blast pot was.. and so on. some times they through it in like normal conversation. He made an apointment, never show up. I called, he didn't answer. GOOD sign he is compation..

·
Todd
848 Posts
i found out why i was so dead for the last two months...my landlord was paying for my pay per click campaign on my website and he shut it off two months ago...he said his google bill last month was 19000$ for the month...ouch.he was super cool to have paid for me for the first year but i am taking it over as of friday morning to tweek it a little and hopefully get thing going a little...

i did score a test job so far with bic...we are in the beginning stages at this point but me and a local powder coater bid a huge job for them and so far they like it...500 or so baskets blasted and powdered...100 each....big job lots of work but that is why we are here right?

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sucks to here about the advertising, we are dead always from nov to end of feb.
Maines not a high income state. people wait for xmas and taxes then start doing things.

next year I'm getting a job driving oil truck, every one needs heat up here... LOL

·
Registered
177 Posts
We deal with architects and builders all across the country. They all say the same thing - there are projects on the boards but no ones pulling the trigger on anything yet. Overall it seems some areas of the country are doing relatively OK and others are down right dieing. I think it comes down to where you are and the trades your involved in.

--------------------------
Mike | Connecticut Screen Works

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When people build a business, almost all start from the ground up.
The Government (and it doesn’t matter who’s in there) start from the top down.
:wallbash:
They should have a trickle UP policy…. LOL

·
Todd
848 Posts
:clap:just got my first trailer load today of factory baskets from bic...they are rather large stackable wharehouse baskets...the powder coater i do alot of work with and i are splitting the job 50me 60him...total 110 each...x 600...finally some work....it will be good filler work as i can do 2 an hour..we did a test already...i might do about 12 a day or so and then do the other customer work to...:w00t:

·
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This week work has started to come out of the wood works!
Due to taxes, people are getting there tax money settled.
This week I’ve priced 2 boats, one car, Mack truck and a Road Grader.
Taking to two towns for contracts on their snow plows……
Like I said before, the economy sucks right now and people are waiting for money to move around. (even the towns are)
I’ve drop my price a tiny bit just to look good. Must be working?

P.S: Todd good score on that load, best wish to ya!

·
Todd
848 Posts
me too...it has been a bid crazy week...including bidding a corvette for my competition...lol...i know it was them getting heated because they are only plastic and cant seem to get any bulk amount of buisness anylonger since i moved in less than a 1/2 mile from them...lol...it is true even the cities and counties are having me price stuff and are telling me that they have to find the money and the budget is real tight...times are hard...money is scarce...but there sure are alot of people at the bars when i drive around.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts