Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.perfectocorp.com

My Hosting company provides a free website builder with many templates to choose from. I am realizing more and more that my leads should be coming from my website, and stop wasting money on other methods.

Can I honestly get away with this template? Or Should I have it redesigned professionally?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,707 Posts
It's pretty lifeless. It looks too generic, IMHO. There's nothing really sexy there that's going to keep folks on the page long enough to get to know you.

Templates are a great way to get a website up but they don't work well in the long term.

Unless someone already knows you and is just looking for more info, you're not going to attract organic leads from that template.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can I honestly get away with this template? Or Should I have it redesigned professionally?
It all depends on what you're long-term goals are... You can certainly "get-by" with that template, but it will leave you cramped for space if you continue trying to add more content and pics etc... It's a fairly small template, and with todays larger and widescreen monitors you should try to utilize a little more of that screen real estate.

If your hosting company provides you with "Fantastico" in your Cpanel then you'll be able to install wordpress with one click. If you're going the DIY route it's probably a better option then what you have right now, and there is 1000's of templates out there to use and many are free.

I also noticed that your page names are a number. (click on any page of your site and you'll see) Does your website builder allow you to give those pages a name or just a number? If it's just a number you definitely have to ditch that solution altogether. It will not help your SEO.

Carl

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You have this. Contact for details .
And this. Consider us for your next project. Call for a free consultation today!
PERFECTO - " A level of excellence " for over 25 years!

No mail link, no phone number.

It's a site, in your name. It's a start. Now, as been noted, you can build onto it for a while, then as you get your feet wet and build a bigger/better site in another fashion, it will load right onto your dot-com. Seamlessly, I assume.

It's a start.

Why all the windows and doors with no visible sign of flashing? Personally, from the many e-mails and phone calls I get each week, I think close-ups and detail pics work best. It's what I get comments on.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have this. Contact for details .
And this. Consider us for your next project. Call for a free consultation today!

No mail link, no phone number.

It's a site, in your name. It's a start. Now, as been noted, you can build onto it for a while, then as you get your feet wet and build a bigger/better site in another fashion, it will load right onto your dot-com. Seamlessly, I assume.

It's a start.

Why all the windows and doors with no visible sign of flashing? Personally, from the many e-mails and phone calls I get each week, I think close-ups and detail pics work best. It's what I get comments on.

Its all on the contact page, i recently edited that page, so i wasnt really finished with the content.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Can you post some examples of sites that you think are truly custom? Maybe those of your competitors?
There are few sites being put out that are truly "custom" chances are it's all been done before by now.

"Custom" sites aren't all they are cracked up to be... I'll take a proven layout filled with my content over re-inventing the wheel any day of the week.

Carl

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I'll reiterate;

When a prospect sees this on the page:

Design & Build Services : Commercial & Residential

Kitchens
Additions
Remodels
Bathrooms
Exteriors
Basements
New Construction
Decks & Patios

Consider us for your next project. Call for a free consultation today!

The prospect expects to find the Ph#. e-mail, or other link right there.

Why are you making them seach through the pages to find a way to contact you? By time they find it, they've forgotten what they were searching for, or why. I have those contact links all over my site. Maybe that's part of why I get 2-4 calls a day. Maybe not.

Your site is unique in that respect. Custom, even.:whistling

Not trying to be offensive. But Carl and all the others keep pounding on that horn all the time. 'Call to Action' button,link, #, or whatever. I learned it from them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My recommendation is to purchase a domain from godaddy... they cost anywhere from 7-30 bucks a year. If you use the promo code SCAM3 you will get one for $7 and change/year. (I got that code fro msome internet show I watch)

Then purchase hosting, which can cost about 8-10bucks a month.

Most hosting companies will automatically install wordpress.org software and you can easily create a fully customizable, rich-functioning website.

There are hundreds to thousands of articles on how to do this at wordpress.org

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My recommendation is to purchase a domain from godaddy... they cost anywhere from 7-30 bucks a year. If you use the promo code SCAM3 you will get one for $7 and change/year. (I got that code fro msome internet show I watch)

Then purchase hosting, which can cost about 8-10bucks a month.

Most hosting companies will automatically install wordpress.org software and you can easily create a fully customizable, rich-functioning website.

There are hundreds to thousands of articles on how to do this at wordpress.org

are you saying that i change my domain name? Not gonna happen, i have cars, tshirts, pens, ads, etc with it already

·
Internet Marketing Agency
339 Posts
Wish I had more time for a reply but why dont you take a look as some wordpress themes. There are quite a few free one as well as some inexpensive ones.

do a search for flexibility2 theme.....it is free....has a lot of different looks. You have use a custom header...the one drawback is that you are limited the backgrounds they off. There are a good number of them but still limited.

This is an example of a wp theme we did for a client...hard to believe it is a blog http://www.stockresearchpro.com/

This is a sample of one of them themes we use for our clients sometimes as well

http://essence.ithemes.com/

you can look at different layouts and color if you use the navigation at the top.

Sorry I don't have more time tonight or I'd put more examples up. I like the idea of finding a site you like and modeling yours after it....that's how we do all ours.

j

·
Internet Marketing Agency
339 Posts
Hi Rich,

To answer your question of the forum about getting your site redone. Yes there are plenty of people who can do this for you. The benefit of using wordpress as your site's platform is that once it is set up it is fairly easy for you (or someone in your company) to maintain and update the site with any new content you want to add.

I would suggest is this is a route you may want to go. Make sure you choose someone who deals with wordpress on a regular basis. There are many things that can make the site more SEO friendly as well as user friendly.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them if I can.

j

·
Registered
29 Posts
These types of templates don't work because you're gonna wanna make a hard effort and try hard to get people to come to your site and when they do you want it to be very appealing. The template you have is only half page if you devide the ratio of everything you got on there and you can see that the website is too skinny, and the pictures are too small, elder folks won't even be able to see them. Our generation is changing and going to more technological. Most people between 20-30 use the internet to find companies I would say invest a little more time and money and have a internet form of advertising that can bring you potential customers, most times it won't cost you money just time and effort.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
You really don't have to have contractor more than once. Ditto NY, NYC, New York, etc. G sees this as keyword spamming/cramming and will demote your site and even blacklist it.
Over at DP, there are many threads asking why did my site get deleted from G?

Google 'Long tail keyword search' to learn what you need to do to target clients.

·
House Painting Denver
221 Posts
i doubt i'll have the time or effort it takes to learn all these templates , uploads, etc...

Is there someone i can pay to ultilze this service?
There are usually two aspects that go into how to aproach getting your website the way that you want it. The first aspect is time: if you have time to learn, you can save yourself the 1-3k in paying somebody to build one for you. Benefit is that you will know how to maintain it yourself for future updates ect.

The second aspect is money$$$: If you don't have the time, which means that your busy running your company and making money that way, then it might be better to hire somebody to build a Content management system, like Joomla or WordPress, Both of which are available to install through your hosting company free of charge.

I would recommend Maven Websites for developing a website. He has done a couple of my construction friends websites using joomla and they've really liked their service.

I hope this helps.

·
Renovation Pro
56 Posts
I like it. I use footbridge too. I like the simplicity of the pages. Nice and clean looking. I'm wondering if you wrote your own content for the site? Sounds like you did. The content is one thing I am sort of struggling with.
I feel mine needs to be a little more personalized. I need to try and tell a story about WHY someone would choose me over the other 10 google results.
Seems a website is always a work in progress. If i can ask...how long have you been with footbridge and are you happy with the SEO work they are doing for you? Have you moved up in the rankings since being with them?
I try and ask them questions about my progress...things I could do to boost my rankings even more. I am always answered with a one line response. "we will take care of it" or something to that effect. How is your experience? Feel free to PM if you like. Jim

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I like it. I use footbridge too. I like the simplicity of the pages. Nice and clean looking.
I try and ask them questions about my progress...things I could do to boost my rankings even more. I am always answered with a one line response. "we will take care of it" or something to that effect. How is your experience? Feel free to PM if you like. Jim
I really like your site. The only thing I have a question about it the towns you service at the bottom. It looks like a wall of text when you scroll down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts